Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyu View Post
WOW. I guess that just about says it all.

It is scary when the underbelly of the beast is exposed, isn't it?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's funny that you assume these guys can read Spanish to begin with. Don't you think these guys could do better than a laborers job if they were educated in the first place? If they were lucky enough to receive an education in Mexico, they were probably taught English as well. So, why does everything have to be in spanish and english?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally i think it sucks. I also think it sucks, that I have to press 1 for english every time I pick up the phone. America is made up of Immigrants. Immigrants who came to this country for a better life. When they came here, they assimilated to our culture.

Why now must we assimilate to theirs?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capelawncare.com View Post
Personally i think it sucks. I also think it sucks, that I have to press 1 for english every time I pick up the phone. America is made up of Immigrants. Immigrants who came to this country for a better life. When they came here, they assimilated to our culture.

Why now must we assimilate to theirs?
No one is asking you to learn Spanish! But, as has been pointed out before, English is not the official language of America. Should it be? Absolutely, but rather than complain here on a lawnsite forum, how about taking the time to write your representatives and demand they do something worthwhile while in power? Demand that they make English the official language, then you will have an arguement. In the meantime, press one for english and skip over the spanish article in Turf (though you might find it useful to read the English version)

www.gatheringofeagles.org

Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Not The Official Languagae?? Wow, So What Color Is Our Flag?? And If Thats The Case Why Cant U Be President If U Were Not Born In The U.s?? Does Our Commander And Chief Speak English Or Is That A Big Cnn Cover Up. English Is The Official Language Of The United States
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyu View Post
No one is asking you to learn Spanish! But, as has been pointed out before, English is not the official language of America. Should it be? Absolutely, but rather than complain here on a lawnsite forum, how about taking the time to write your representatives and demand they do something worthwhile while in power? Demand that they make English the official language, then you will have an arguement. In the meantime, press one for english and skip over the spanish article in Turf (though you might find it useful to read the English version)
Kathy,

Believe me I have written to our elected officials. The problem lies with pandering. Our elected officals pander to the hispanic vote. They have provided a government that does everything for them in spanish. Whats the incentive to assimilate?

Corporations pander to hispanics. Press 1 for English, is a prime example. Again where is the incentive to assimilate?

If our government and our industries stopped pandering, perhaps English would be our national language.

Personally I find it a sad commentary that our polititians, have sold our culture for the price of a few votes, and our businesses have sold our culture for an increase in profits.

Perhaps if the people we do business with and the people we elect had the principles not to sell out our culture, We would not have to press 1 for english! Nor would we spend countless billions of dollars translating our language.

Sadly it is people like yourself that facilitate our cultural decline by saying skip the article, and keep pressing 1 for english.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Capelawncare,

Should have's don't solve the problem. The problem is correct as you have stated it. Our elected officials don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by not accomadating them. Believe me, I agree with you on this.

I don't, personally ask people to press one for spanish on my phone, they either talk to me in English, or we don't talk.
BUT, Turf magazine is a product for the green industry. A large portion of that industry is hispanic, do you really see a huge amount of harm being done by providing them with safety instructions that they can clearly understand? We are a service industry, keeping people safe is of major concern and importance.

traviswalker,
The more you write, the more you prove that you don't know what you are talking about. I, therefore, won't even bother with a response.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Ooh So Now Its About Safety In Spanish!! Wow That Changes Everything. Its Obvious Your Protecting The Magazine Company So Ill Tell You What Why Not Just Offer It In Spanish And See How Many Subscriptions You Get..oooh Wait Its Free, Well Then Convert All The Sales Adds Over To Spanish And See How Much Feed Back U Get, My Guess Is You Would Probably Go Broke. The Point Im Trying To Make And Dont Respond If You Dont Want To I Really Dont Care, But The Point Is This. Yes Hispanics Make Up The Majority Of The Landscape Workforce, And Why Is That, Beacuse No One Will Hire A Amercian Beacuse They Require More Pay, And More Maintenance And Thus Require More Patience, Were On The Other Hand You Can Hire Hispanics At Half The Rate And They Wouldnt Complain Beacuse Theye Probably Are Illegal In The First Place, Not All Just Most. So In Essence Your Contributing To The Problem By Offering Hispanic Articles In An English Magazine For The Hard Working Amercian Landscape Contractor. Whats Next, U Going To Offer An H2b Program At Your Magazine For The Underprivliged Hispanic Who Wants To Be A Us Citizen?? The Last Thing I Wanna See In This Magazine Is An Article Written In Spanish, If It Continues Then I Will Find Another Source For Information.
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Cathy,
The More You Write The More I Feel As Though Your Defending, So As It Is In All Cases What Ever Makes Your Proffit Soar, Even If You Have To Sell Out The English Language.
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviswalker007 View Post
Cathy,
The More You Write The More I Feel As Though Your Defending, So As It Is In All Cases What Ever Makes Your Proffit Soar, Even If You Have To Sell Out The English Language.
Of course I'm defending. I work for this company and I am very proud of the products we produce. As David pointed out earlier, the spanish section doesn't produce any sort of profit, much less a "soaring" profit. The November issue (south version) is 74 pages, not counting cover and back. Of that 1 1/4 pages are in spanish, which leaves 72 3/4 pages of English only content. That's less than 2% of the magazine. I don't really call that a sell out. But as with so many other things in this world, discussing issues where facts get in the way of emotions is pointless. I am therefore done discussing this issue with you. If you chose to cancel your subscription because of less than 2% of the content, that is certainly your choice. You can email me at kupton@mrpllc.com and I will be happy to oblige you.

Closed Thread