The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Except for traviswalker007. I don't think he's feeling the love
No, traviswalker007 isn't feeling intune with the world community I don't think. Come on-GROUP HUG for travis!

www.gatheringofeagles.org

Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojob View Post
I agree. Look at any poor country. What do they all have in common? Too many people.

Funny, we are the 3rd most populous country in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
Old 12-01-2007, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Member

For all you folks that think ENGLISH is from this country your are wrong ENGLISH originates from ENGLAND. Do your homework guys. America has only been around since 1776 right, thats only about 231 years or have you forgotten that your fore fathers came over on a boat trying to escape the injustice of their home land looking for a better future for their families and may remind you again they did not speak ENGLISH!! which seems to be the case today. I don't understand why you get so intimidated by the Spanish language which I would like to point out is another European language it comes from "Spain" not Mexico. So guys dont get so intimidated about all this language and cultural differences. Another thing to remember this land was stolen from the NATIVE AMERICANS so get over this English /Spanish battle this is a free country and it doesn't matter what you speak the bottom line is we are all human beings
Old 12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Funny, we are the 3rd most populous country in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
It's the number of people per square mile that's the problem. That ratio is still fairly low here, but look at Haiti for instance. You don't agree that the mass of humanity there could be the source of all their problems?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noriega View Post
For all you folks that think ENGLISH is from this country your are wrong ENGLISH originates from ENGLAND. Do your homework guys. America has only been around since 1776 right, thats only about 231 years or have you forgotten that your fore fathers came over on a boat trying to escape the injustice of their home land looking for a better future for their families and may remind you again they did not speak ENGLISH!! which seems to be the case today. I don't understand why you get so intimidated by the Spanish language which I would like to point out is another European language it comes from "Spain" not Mexico. So guys dont get so intimidated about all this language and cultural differences. Another thing to remember this land was stolen from the NATIVE AMERICANS so get over this English /Spanish battle this is a free country and it doesn't matter what you speak the bottom line is we are all human beings

Well, I'm native American and I guess I don't need to tell you what happened when we tried to tolerate the Europeans. Are you ready for a modern Trail of Tears? Don't think it could happen because of the constitution? Well, the Supreme court ruled that the removal of all Indians from East of the Mississippi was unconstitutional but it happened anyway. That's reality.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noriega View Post
Well for 231 years we have been speaking ENGLISH here in America. Every immigrant group that came here seeking a better life has learned to speak english, and has assimilated to our culture. With of course the exception of the Hispanics, who appearently feel it is their right to enter illegally, and have us assimilate to their culture.

I am not a racist, nor do I believe that the overwhelming majority of Americans who feel exactly as I do are racists. I believe that the majority of Americans could have cared less about Spanish and Illegal immigration, until just a few years ago when the Hispanic's started holding their marches, and demonstrations, demanding rights for people who entered this country illegally.

Personally i think our population is tired of seeing the Mexican flag wavied at protests demanding their rights as americans, and having to press 1 for English!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does the U.S. have an official language?

You might be surprised that for more than 200 years, Americans have gotten by without declaring English their official language. English Only legislation first appeared in 1981 as a constitutional English Language Amendment but the measure never came to Congressional vote. Since 1981, 22 states have adopted various forms of Official English legislation, in addition to four that had already done so. Subtracting Hawai'i (which is officially bilingual with English and Hawaiian being the official languages) ) and Alaska (whose English-only initiative has been declared unconstitutional) leaves a total of 24 states with active Official English laws.

How many languages are spoken in the U.S.?

Far from being monolingual, the U.S. is a highly multilingual country. The number of languages spoken in the United States is 311. Of these, 162 are indigenous, and 149 are immigrant languages. An indigenous or autochthonous language is a language that is native to a region and spoken by indigenous peoples.

According to the Census Bureau, in 14 million U.S. households people speak a language other than English. One in five people over age 5 speaks a language other than English.

The Spanish language is the second-most common language in the country, spoken by almost 30 million people (or 12% of the population) in 2005. In Puerto Rico, both Spanish and English have the status of official language, and in New Mexico both languages have widespread usage. The United States holds the world's fifth largest Spanish-speaking population, outnumbered only by Mexico, Spain, Argentina, and Colombia.

Although many new Latin American immigrants are less than fluent in English, second-generation Hispanic Americans nearly all speak English fluently, while only about half still speak Spanish.

People of German ancestry make up the largest single ethnic group in the United States and the German language ranks fifth. Italian, Polish, and Greek are still widely spoken among populations descending from immigrants from those countries in the early 20th century, but the use of these languages are dwindling as older generations die out.

Starting in the 1970s and continuing until the mid 1990s, many people from the Soviet Union and later its constituent republics such as Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, and Uzbekistan have immigrated to the United States, causing Russian to become one of the minority languages in the United States.

Tagalog and Vietnamese have over one million speakers in the United States, almost entirely within recent immigrant populations.

There is also a small population of Native Americans who still speak their native languages, but these populations are dropping and the languages are almost never widely used outside of reservations. Hawaiian, although having few native speakers, is still used at the state level in Hawaii along with the English language. All other languages besides the English language are usually learned from immigrant ancestors or learned through some form of education.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
Why do you capitalize every single word???
Just for u Bob!! i wouldnt want you to get confused!!
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Except for traviswalker007. I don't think he's feeling the love
Well grenne T, when you get a buisness going with more than just a pushmower and dadys pick up truck, then maybe you will understand...
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyu View Post
No, traviswalker007 isn't feeling intune with the world community I don't think. Come on-GROUP HUG for travis!
Your prolly the one sitting in the truck at the border, getting them all in...how many work for your magazine???
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Closed Thread