Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 12-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyu View Post
We've been asked this many times. Part of the reason for running a spanish article alongside it's English counterpart is to encourage spanish employees to learn English.
If you notice, most of the articles are safety related and we feel it is important that while they are learning English, they have access to articles on safety that they can understand.

But stay tuned.....I'll forward your concerns to David and he will get back if I have mispoken the company position or if he would like to add anything.
that is crap...........
  #62  
Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM
LawnTamer's Avatar
LawnTamer LawnTamer is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 3,957
There is an old saying, "The narrower the mind, the broader the statements." Those who are somehow offended that Turf has one article, on safety, in the native language of a huge portion of our industry members, must be suffering from rectal cranial inversion.
Not to boast, but I speak 4 languages, reading a good translation and comparing it to your native language is one of the BEST ways to learn usage and context.

Don't believe me? If you've studied a foreign language, buy a novel in that language and in English. Read them together, first read the paragraph in English, then whatever language you are studying.

I find the articles fun and helpful, as I myself am trying to improve my Spanish. I am able to learn words, and phrases that relate to the industry.

Kathy and Dave, don't let a few speak for the majority.

BTW Isn't it interesting that someone would demand immigrants learn a language which he, (a native speaker) is not able to use at a 4th grade level? HHHHMMM
__________________
Evergreen of Utah
Licensed applicators since 1990
Making the desert green one lawn at a time


"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
  #63  
Old 12-22-2007, 01:50 PM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
Well, I'm native American and I guess I don't need to tell you what happened when we tried to tolerate the Europeans. Are you ready for a modern Trail of Tears? Don't think it could happen because of the constitution? Well, the Supreme court ruled that the removal of all Indians from East of the Mississippi was unconstitutional but it happened anyway. That's reality.
When did that happen? There are Native Americans in Ct, Ma , Maine, NY to this day.
  #64  
Old 12-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Big Bad Bob's Avatar
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: zone 5
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced irrigation Inc. View Post
When did that happen? There are Native Americans in Ct, Ma , Maine, NY to this day.
History lesson:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

http://ngeorgia.com/history/nghisttt.html


What DID they teach you in school?
Library has books on this subject. Google it. Use any search engine and you will come up with volumes on this subject. Whites should be very ashamed of this unconstitutional crime by Andrew Jackson. Yes. Andrew Jackson was a murderer of thousands of Cherokee.
__________________
Price fairly but price to stay in business.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
  #65  
Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
lawntamer calls me narrow minded because I do not accept the forced intrusion of a non English language into American society. So who is part of the problem? Lawntamer can you have a intelligent discussion in any of those 4 languages without name calling?
  #66  
Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 PM
LawnTamer's Avatar
LawnTamer LawnTamer is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 3,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshskis View Post
lawntamer calls me narrow minded because I do not accept the forced intrusion of a non English language into American society. So who is part of the problem? Lawntamer can you have a intelligent discussion in any of those 4 languages without name calling?
Sure, pick one.

Let's be serious here for a second, I tend to be sarcastic. If there had been an Al Gore 200 years ago to "invent" the internet, we could go back and dig up old threads and find similar threads about every wave of immigration. Immigration tends to come in waves, see. In Hebrew they are called Aliyahs. I don't think we have a word in English. Anyway, there is a logical reason for this. Economic failures caused by war, weather or civil unrest cause people to be poor and hungry, so some of them come here, they write their friends and family back home and offer them a place to stay and perhaps tell them about a job.

With each of these waves we see backlash, people who don't want "the forced intrusion" into American society, as you put it. What they don't realize is that all these immigrants assimilate. It takes time, but it happens. Typically the first generation learns fairly little English and tend to live in groups, little neighborhoods where they are surrounded by other families of the same ethnicity. The second generation will speak English fluently and be bi-lingual. The third generation will speak fluent English and very little of the native language. Hispanic immigrants follow the same pattern. 130 years ago we would have seen ads in papers in Chinese. We have had the same in Italian, 2 big waves and a small wave of Russian immigrants. Too many to name them all in a thread.

So seriously, how does it hurt ya'll if Turf mag. has one safety article in Spanish and English?
__________________
Evergreen of Utah
Licensed applicators since 1990
Making the desert green one lawn at a time


"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
  #67  
Old 12-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Big Bad Bob's Avatar
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: zone 5
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
Sure, pick one.

Let's be serious here for a second, I tend to be sarcastic. If there had been an Al Gore 200 years ago to "invent" the internet, we could go back and dig up old threads and find similar threads about every wave of immigration. Immigration tends to come in waves, see. In Hebrew they are called Aliyahs. I don't think we have a word in English. Anyway, there is a logical reason for this. Economic failures caused by war, weather or civil unrest cause people to be poor and hungry, so some of them come here, they write their friends and family back home and offer them a place to stay and perhaps tell them about a job.

With each of these waves we see backlash, people who don't want "the forced intrusion" into American society, as you put it. What they don't realize is that all these immigrants assimilate. It takes time, but it happens. Typically the first generation learns fairly little English and tend to live in groups, little neighborhoods where they are surrounded by other families of the same ethnicity. The second generation will speak English fluently and be bi-lingual. The third generation will speak fluent English and very little of the native language. Hispanic immigrants follow the same pattern. 130 years ago we would have seen ads in papers in Chinese. We have had the same in Italian, 2 big waves and a small wave of Russian immigrants. Too many to name them all in a thread.

So seriously, how does it hurt ya'll if Turf mag. has one safety article in Spanish and English?
Maybe I'm a little lacking in immigration history. Some Hispanics, and their supporters, seem to want Americans to use Spanish. Could you give me a few examples of immigrants, in past history, trying to force Americans to behave the way the immigrants behave, and refusing to assimilate. Had there ever been a documented and concerted political and social effort to make America multi lingual and multicultural in the past?
__________________
Price fairly but price to stay in business.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
  #68  
Old 12-22-2007, 09:32 PM
tinman's Avatar
tinman tinman is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ga
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlturfcare View Post
i was wondering why they have to put a article in spanish and english into the magazine? I would prefer not to have the spanish one. I feel that if they are over here, they need to learn to read in english.
other than that, i feel that it is a great magazine.

I would like to see comparison of mowers on how they cut from the midwest more instead of the east coast or the south.
It is their magazine and they "choose" to put the Spanish version in there. It is smart business to do so since a large number of lawn car ops are Latino. How does it affect you adversely?
I assure you most immigrants do learn to speak English or at least their next generation does. You know why... it benefits them to do so.
__________________
Follow Me on twitter
  #69  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
So seriously, how does it hurt ya'll?
Easy Question lawntamer, as for the early nineteenth century immigrants, they came at a time when the population of the U.S. was one fifth of what it is today. Most were processed through Ellis Island in New York and were at least checked for diseases to some degree. LEARNING ENGLISH WAS A REQUIREMENT. There is no comparison to the twenty million illegal immigrants in this country today, not only taking jobs, but also taking advantage of and demanding more services and rights. The open border advocates and pandering politicians have no regard for the millions through out the world who have applied through legal means and have to wait indefinitely, jump through hoops and pay fees on top of fees and then wait some more, sometimes for years because they choose to abide by the laws of this country while other choose to break them and are rewarded generously once they get past the border and into the cities. That is how it hurts me, You hurt my country you hurt me.
  #70  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Big Bad Bob's Avatar
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: zone 5
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshskis View Post
Easy Question lawntamer, as for the early nineteenth century immigrants, they came at a time when the population of the U.S. was one fifth of what it is today. Most were processed through Ellis Island in New York and were at least checked for diseases to some degree. LEARNING ENGLISH WAS A REQUIREMENT. There is no comparison to the twenty million illegal immigrants in this country today, not only taking jobs, but also taking advantage of and demanding more services and rights. The open border advocates and pandering politicians have no regard for the millions through out the world who have applied through legal means and have to wait indefinitely, jump through hoops and pay fees on top of fees and then wait some more, sometimes for years because they choose to abide by the laws of this country while other choose to break them and are rewarded generously once they get past the border and into the cities. That is how it hurts me, You hurt my country you hurt me.
Some say that the fact that it is SO hard to get in legally that that is what is driving illegal immigration. Some say the requirements are too stringent. I say, so what? We have enough people here. There are no more open prairies and deserts to be populated. This ain't 1900. The way we are going is towards loss of sovereignty for all nations. As George Bush Sr. said, "New World Order". International courts will rule the entire human population of the world. This is real guys. But if that's the world you want left to your grandchildren, well, God help ya.
__________________
Price fairly but price to stay in business.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.12217 seconds with 7 queries