Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

4hp tec won't restart

Hi guys, I'm working on a craftmans mower 143-014016 with several problems but I got it repaired except for a problem with restart.I press the primer 3 times it starts, shut it off no start until approx. 30 seconds then it starts with out primer. . I think it some kind of vacuum /air problem but I don't know where else to look. I,ve removed cap no help, cleaned the carb with cleaner, used small wire, blew out everything three times paying attention to all orfices. I,ve replaced the 2 orings on the emulsion tube,replaced intake gaskets,bowl gasket,needed a new float(hole in it)adjusted the float (11/64 drill) gas line,replaced nonadjust air screw change the fly wheel key (sheared). Would the primer bulb cause this problem? It works fine when it started. you just got to wait a short while then it starts right up first pull or pull about 6 times it will start after you shut off.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If this unit starts just fine cold after priming and runs fine I wouldn't waste anymore time on it. Some engines must be primed/choked to start when hot anyway.

30 seconds does not give the engine time enough to warm up before trying to re-start without priming.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Yah, It's going back to customer like it is . To much time spent on it now.It bugs me to no end when something like that happens and I can't seem to figure it out. Normally when I return a mower to the customer it always starts on the first or second pull. If not then I'm determine to fine out why.If something do come to mind please let me know o.k. Thanks.