Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-20-2001, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

What's your largest Insurance claim?

Just curious on what types of things you've had happen to you and what it cost.

In all the other years I've been in business i only have had one claim
This year has been crazy for me.

In the last three months three claims

One mower deck.... $ 1000.00 & I paid $ 250.00 out of pocket for deductable.... $ 750.00 total insurance paid

One 4'x6' house window(around Doctors inclosed pool) He also has inclosed steam room and sauna. I don't know the cost yet

It was taken out by @#$% dog bone in yard (And the dog bites too)

Lastly,
Yesterday ....Kiss one car window goodbye at the vet clinic.
Got the phone call 2 hrs after I had left that an employyee found a broken window in her car.

Funny thing is i asked my brother who mowed/string trimmed that area and blew off the parking lot if he saw or was there any glass/broken windows when he was there & he said no.

Can't say we did or didn't do it..... my gut feeling is that we didn't.....But i turned it in to my insurance carrier anyway.

It's on a 2001 mercury grand marquis with 6K on it. Left rear power window which would be hard to hit when it's parked in a row of other cars.

Dan G.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:25 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
Sounds like you are haveing bad luck
ive been in business since 1996 never had to file a claim yet
but my insurance keeps going up 200 a year last two years
started it was very reasonable
Old 09-20-2001, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

15 years in busines no claims until last year. Two Walker mower driven off seawalls into saltwater 3 months apart. needless to say I have a new Insurance carrier.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:54 PM
Banned

I have had 3 claims so far, only one was paid.

1. was for a septic tank i backed over and crushed, homeowner told me to drive there, guy wanted a new system from me.

2. was for a roof that my guys damaged when they were cleaning snow and ice off of it after a storm this past winter. (roof already leaked)

3. was for a car i scratched up this past summer removing a limb from a tree. ($2700.00)
Old 09-20-2001, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

ouch

I had a $8,000 water bill. Insurance paid 100%. I had a local nursery to some repairs and get the system ready to be turned on. Well I thought they had already showed up when I turned the system on. Needless to say they didn't and the drain valves were left wide open. 5 million gallon of water. It was a huge system!!!
Old 09-21-2001, 12:56 AM
Senior Moderator

One claim our first year in business.
Broke a passenger side window on a car with a large rock.

Our insurance did not raise the next year. And ever since, we have been lucky. No more claims.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Knock on wood only one claim in three yrs of bus. (I hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that). I scratched a car with the handle of my w/b. I showed the lady and said I would pay for it. To make a long story short, she harrassed me for the money until the my ins. company cut her the check. Two months have gone by and she still has not fixed the car after all the bitching about it. Go figure, I guess she just wanted the money. I told my ins. company and they said she can do whatever she wants with the money. Needless to say, I have dropped that account.
Old 09-21-2001, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

my 1st and only was this year i demoed a new snapper truf cruiser with the single joystick from a dealer i ran over a grass coverd guy wire pole anchor well snapper cliams to have a field servicable spindals it didnt mater the whole spindal bent the deck broke both spindal housings and left me with a $800 dollar bill
funny thing is after one of the guys heard what i did they said that they hit it last week with the Yazoo/Kees and mowed on
Old 09-21-2001, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

8years in bus. and no claims 2 date however i have blown out 2 storm doors with full length glass, but one was on my own house and the other was my step mother's house which she returned the door to Lowe's and got a replacment 4 free.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only one claim.

Several years ago I forgot to set the brake on my Exmark walkbehind, so when I accelerated to leave that job, the mower rolled quickly to the back of the trailer and smashed into the end gate. It bent the gate, heated that up myself and fixed it, but the Velky on it was a total loss. $300 bill for the new one, insurance covered $200 of it.