Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Attention: New Compaies in New Jersey

Just learned today that the state is making anyone who is going to start a lawn/ landscape company must have 5 years prior expirence(meaning you must work with a lawn/landscape company on the books for 5 yrs.) The law will go into affect for the 2008 season. Also any company established before October will be grandfathered in. I'm going to try to get some more info. on the subject but thats what I was told from my boss.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

This must be a joke right? All kidding aside, there is absolutely no way they can enforce this even if this was a legit law. I don't even believe they would put a law in place like this.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im gonna have to agree with you kid. All this will do is stop people from becoming legal.

.:SCENARIO:.
"Hi am would like to start my own legit lawn care service...whats that I must prove that I have 5 years experience??? Sure I'll be right back. Oh well since I can not prove my experience I guess I will just have to continue operating without paying any taxes...shoot."
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't heard anything about this and i became legit in may. Regaurdless your boss is just pulling your leg i think (did you mention about starting your own bussiness to him ). I can't imagine it holding up in the courts and even if it does, we'll just see ten times the number of under the table companies starting up compared to now.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

yea when I go into work tom. I'll ask to see the paper work that he was sent. I figured I would throw the info. out there to see if anyone else heard anything on the subject
Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you worked for me, and talked about starting your own buss all the time i would give you a fast start your your goal.
Romans 8:28
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God"
Old 09-27-2007, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is what happens with regulation, why I keep saying we don't want that.

I hate to agree but if this law is passed then only outlaws will be Lco's.
It might stop some, it will slow things down, but what's going to happen when the demand rises is prices go up yet again.
You know, I'm all for it in ways but make no mistakes here...
I didn't see this for a long time but the more years we get in, the more powerful the customers we acquire. I dare say I have one or two now that if I raise my prices they simply do the same thing on their end (as in, they have customers too), then this starts yet another chain reaction and next thing you know everything else done got high, again, too...

It's just dumb if you ask me, plain dumb.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

That is the way it works for irrigation here, expierience plus testing will get you a license. The difference is, all irrigation workers are registered. Is thier any kind of registration in New Jersey that is lawn care specific? If not their will be no way the state can accurately know how many years of expierience you have.

My Opinion, he's pulling your leg. If not register a business name with the state now and you will be good to go when you want to be on your own.

The upside of something like this is it will limit the fly by nighters if it is enforced.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you're boss wants to make sure you stay working for him.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

He said that after filling out and mailing in the paperwork that they would send out a register number showing that he was alegit company. Like I said I'll try to get some more info. on the paper work.