Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Super Z 60" Blades

It has been some time since I've been on this site, but I had copied the following post sometime last year:

"I own a 04' Super Z 60" deck and have never been totally satisfied with the cut quality, I recently put on the spacer kit to run flat blades and opened up the discharge opening, per Hustler specs. The discharge was better, but I really couldn't tell a noticable difference with cut quality after running the flat blades compared to the offset blades. It never has lifted the grass up very well that the front tires push down and I always run hi-lift blades and alternate my mowing patterns weekly. So I decided to try something I did on one of my walkbehinds a couple of years back that just wasn't lifting the grass very good, I went to J-Thomas.com and ordered some Scag hi-lift
3" wide 21" length blades, the air foil on the blade is alot wider and taller than a normal hi-lift blade, thus creating more vaccum. I ran them all day today and on some really thick grass, huge difference in cut quality, no stringers at all and cut the pushed down grass from the front tires. It also made the discharge even better with the added wind velocity of these blades and the wider opening. I could tell it dragged the motor just a tad more in thick stuff, but nothing major at all, no where close to what running doubles does. Just thought I would pass some info along to some of the owners of the old deck style.
"

Well I finally did try this guy's suggestions, and I have to say that the blades he referenced, and I bought, are so much better than any of the Hustler blades that I have bought at cutting spindle type weeds. I have not had run back over what I already cut to get those stragglers at all. I just couldn't believe it. I can't wait to try the high lift mulchers I bought at the same time.
By the way, J Thomas is a great site to buy all kinds of stuff for your mowers, I just happen to live about 20 mintues from them, but had never heard of them before the post I mentioned.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought these same blades for my 05 super z and I mowed awesome. it did drag down the motor quite a bit though. I think my rpm's just need to be raised but the quality of the cut was awesome compared to the flat fusion blades.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Where do I find a spacer kit at? Have you tried the Mulch Blades Yet?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markindetroit View Post
It has been some time since I've been on this site, but I had copied the following post sometime last year:

"I own a 04' Super Z 60" deck and have never been totally satisfied with the cut quality, I recently put on the spacer kit to run flat blades and opened up the discharge opening, per Hustler specs. The discharge was better, but I really couldn't tell a noticable difference with cut quality after running the flat blades compared to the offset blades. It never has lifted the grass up very well that the front tires push down and I always run hi-lift blades and alternate my mowing patterns weekly. So I decided to try something I did on one of my walkbehinds a couple of years back that just wasn't lifting the grass very good, I went to J-Thomas.com and ordered some Scag hi-lift
3" wide 21" length blades, the air foil on the blade is alot wider and taller than a normal hi-lift blade, thus creating more vaccum. I ran them all day today and on some really thick grass, huge difference in cut quality, no stringers at all and cut the pushed down grass from the front tires. It also made the discharge even better with the added wind velocity of these blades and the wider opening. I could tell it dragged the motor just a tad more in thick stuff, but nothing major at all, no where close to what running doubles does. Just thought I would pass some info along to some of the owners of the old deck style.
"

Well I finally did try this guy's suggestions, and I have to say that the blades he referenced, and I bought, are so much better than any of the Hustler blades that I have bought at cutting spindle type weeds. I have not had run back over what I already cut to get those stragglers at all. I just couldn't believe it. I can't wait to try the high lift mulchers I bought at the same time.
By the way, J Thomas is a great site to buy all kinds of stuff for your mowers, I just happen to live about 20 mintues from them, but had never heard of them before the post I mentioned.
Did you use the spacer kit with the Scag 3" 21" high lift blades? Where do you buy a spacer kit?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

We run same setup...i got the spacer kit from my dealer for 15.00...
2 Echo 260T
Shindaiwa 260 Edger
2 Echo CS-440
Husqvarna 326HD
www.BTLS.com
Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveypadot View Post
Did you use the spacer kit with the Scag 3" 21" high lift blades? Where do you buy a spacer kit?
Are you running a XR-7? the posts in this thread are talking about the previous 60" non XR-7 deck, they will not apply to the XR-7 deck.
Let me know.

Pj
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the XR-7 Deck. What does not apply, the spacers or the blades?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the best blades to use for my xr7 deck for st augustine grass?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant View Post
Are you running a XR-7? the posts in this thread are talking about the previous 60" non XR-7 deck, they will not apply to the XR-7 deck.
Let me know.

Pj
I have an xr7 deck are you saying that the blades aren't for it or the spacers? What is the best blades for St. Augustine grass? What is the best Blades for the bagger unit for leaves?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought the spacer kit a couple of years back when I bought the mulch kit from Hustler. It comes with the spacer and longer bolts. Check with your dealer about getting one.

I haven't tried the mulch blade yet but am changing over this week. I'll post my results when I mow next.