Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

why shut down so soon???

Some local iirigation companies began winterizing (turning off) sprinkler systems about ten days ago, and most all companies have systems shut down by mid October . We are currently in drought conditions here. Then there's October when we often experience low rainfall, sunny weather with low humidity and drying winds......causing lawns to dry out/burn out. Often, we see 80 degrees in late October. Grubworms are really bad here too, and we expect grubworm activity to persist through early November.....compounding the problem.

One local sprinkler company charges extra if they delay winterization. Why?

Root development ocurrs most in fall, but with dry soil --- that ain't gunna happen. Mowing of turf usually continues through late November here -- sometimes thru early December, so why would irrigation companies shut down irrigation systems months before ???
Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can't speak too much on this topic being from Texas but when winter hits I'm guessing it comes fast and hard.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Can't speak too much on this topic being from Texas but when winter hits I'm guessing it comes fast and hard.
That's exactly what happens here. This time last year it was 90*, the very next week it was 27* & 8" of snow on the ground. Gotta love Missouri.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cause they are too concerned with making fast money than keeping the landscape alive?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For this part of the county is a freeze can come at any time. I seen one of the irrigation guys yesterday pulling his compressor.

This year we havn't had a frost yet. Couple of nights in the upper 30s. The golf course for the company I worked at would winterize thier irrigation anywhere from end of September to first part of november. They kept a close eye on the weather.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

what do you do with so many customers? I know one company around here has 7500 each season how could they possible finish if they didn't start in september? It happened to them last year where it was end of november and the freeze hit and they still had about 700 unwinterized.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjtrole View Post
what do you do with so many customers? I know one company around here has 7500 each season how could they possible finish if they didn't start in september? It happened to them last year where it was end of november and the freeze hit and they still had about 700 unwinterized.
Get more equipment and a bigger crew.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not being in a winterizing area... I can only offer what I see posted here. Seems that winterizing is a BIG contractor gamble. Too early... and the risk is run of systems being turned back on or customers not wanting the service. Too late... and systems are subjected to damage. Too many employees/compressors... risk of losing money if cold doesn't come when anticipated or losing seasonal employees who have moved along. Too few employees/compressors... lost revenue because you can't get them all done. When everything comes together just right... all kinds of money made. Guess the better ones know when to go "all in" and make the best profit.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about buy the necessary equipment, rent it out in the "off" season and hire a temp crew during the "on" season.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, you're all correct..it's a throw of the dice for winterize,
we have all our systems shut down now, NW rain coming in,
do we winterize?, nope...October can get downright warm around
here & we've made the mistake before.