Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2007, 10:39 PM

stihl and echo engine comparison

I want to buy either a stihl bg55 or an echo pb-251 blower. The stihl has 2 rings, ball bearing mains and a 2-3 year warranty on the ign. module. The echo only has 1 ring, unlike it's 2 ring older brothers and a lifetime on the ign. module.
I've read that the modules blow easy in dry climates due to static in the blower. They ain't cheap. Neither is a 1 ring short block either I guess. I like the added cruise control on the echo. Everyone says the stihl bg85 is way more powerful. Stihl says the only difference is the muffler between the two. Maybe the bg55 has a cat muffler. Anyway., I would like to make the right choice for once and get one that will last me well into my 90's. I'm 33. But seriously. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well is it the 55 or the 85?

Because I use the 55 but I also spent the extra 10 or 15 and got the flat-tip 65 nozzle, they're the same cc's and I suspect this is the only difference. The 55 does have cruise control thou mine broke (first one on all my stihls thou) and I find the power adequate for late spring - early fall grass cutting season.

The 85 might do something but I think it's too heavy, I like the 55 it doesn't wear me out at all.

Once things get heavy ain't no handheld gonna do it anyhow, 300 cfm's at 170 or so mph, only other use for it is to put it in your left hand when using the backpack wow what a combo
Old 09-28-2007, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The echo is the same engine in the 251 trimmer. I have two of them and they have been the best investment for me. Plenty of power, easy on the fuel, still has the adjustable carb unlike the higher dollar units. I don't think the single ring will be a problem otherwise I don't think echo would make it. In my area we have stihl and echo but the only thing the dealers push for stihl is there saws. I got to use the 251 in the dealer parking lot and I have never used a hand held blower that was that strong.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Stihl says the only difference between the BG 55 and The BG 85 is the muffler?
Well just like Pacino said in the movie Scent of a woman
"this is such a crock of ****!!!!"
go to sthil.com for comparison the stihl is in a class by its self when comparing to the echo. they both do the same thing though. if you tend to take care of your tools and keep them as long as possible buy the sthil if you use and abuse and replace get the echo

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 10-01-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albery's Lawn & Tractor View Post
The echo is the same engine in the 251 trimmer. I have two of them and they have been the best investment for me. Plenty of power, easy on the fuel, still has the adjustable carb unlike the higher dollar units. I don't think the single ring will be a problem otherwise I don't think echo would make it. In my area we have stihl and echo but the only thing the dealers push for stihl is there saws. I got to use the 251 in the dealer parking lot and I have never used a hand held blower that was that strong.
I am an Echo guy all the way but the one ring design bothers me a little. I understand the idea is to reduce friction and heat but the material is new as well as the coating on the inside of the cyclinder. I am going to give them a year or two of field testing before I jump in.....in this case I would go with the Stihl.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

You can tell if it is single or double ring by looking at whether the item is "power boost vortex" (single) or "power boost tornado"(double)

Echo uses a single ring on the GT-200, SRM-210, SRM-251 HC-150, HC-160,HC-180,HC-200, SCH 210, SCH 212, Pb-200,Pb-251, ES 210, PE 200, PPF-210, CS-330, CS-360,Cs-370.

Take this any way you want. At first i said hey all of the smaller displacement engines have this, and these engines tend to be "homeowner"... but then again, you see the single ring on echos top of the line top handle trim saws, so i have no idea...

Just my 2cents
Old 09-30-2007, 12:13 AM

I totally agree with you ed. All of the other echo blowers with the exception of the PB210 have 2 rings. As far as the plating on the cylinder goes, thats the prime reason why most of the poulan pro blowers are throwaways. The plating supposedly flakes off and seizes up the engine. Who knows what kind of a job echo is doing on these new home depot available blowers. Plating is a tricky business. And just because they say they're made by the Japanese company Kioritz doesn't mean that they make it. I smell Taiwan. I was looking at the box at home depot tonight and noticed something interesting. The PB200 box says Made with USA and Japanese parts. The engine actually said Made in Japan. The carb however said CHINA. So much for the what the box states. The PB251 box says Made with USA and other countries parts. Not Japan but other countries. That's why I smell Taiwan. I don't know if I trust their new Vortex Bull Plating. The other backpack Echo blowers boxes said Made in Japan. As far as the Stihl BG55 and the BG85 go, The companies technical rep , Mark O'Briant says that the muffler on the BG85 allows it to obtain 1.1HP instesd of the .9 HP of the BG55. Pachino is a drunken pile of Italian bull in my own opinion and a sucky actor as well, so I don't consider a non mechanical windbag like him a worthy adversary of this discussion. I do hope that eshkis does not also fit into this catagory considering this is a mechanical discussion, not an actors group discussion. If you think Stihl is lying then you can call 1-800-467-8445 and ask for Mark O'Briant. You may be right and he may in fact be the one spending his time on Little Orphan Annie's website. He hasn't replied to my e-mail inquiring whether one is a catalytic converter muffler or not. He did say that the blower housing /venturi/impeller design are the same on both models.That is why the speed rating of the round tube on both models are almost the same. The extra horsepower on the 85 makes up the difference. My local guy scratching the fleas on himself so called Stihl dealer offered me as much information as a challenged redneck was capable of. "Huh" is what he said when I asked him the difference between the two. So if the BG55 muffler can be modified to equal it to the BG85, then I'd say that would be a keeper, Even though it don't have all the bells and whistles the PB251 has. Ain't quite as pretty either without that fancy red plastic paint job.

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 10-01-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: language
Old 09-30-2007, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Relax Buford24D

Their really is no reason to be upset and aggressive. So please stop over compensating for something you lack. Which apparently is Sthil products and specifications knowledge. The facts are the facts and those facts are that their are several differences between the 2 sthil blowers far and beyond the muffler. I am totally confident that when every intrested person goes to this website and reads for themselves the differences they will politely disregard your postings on this subject and consider you politely but affectionately misinformed. So please their really is no reason to be angry.

so all concerned can go hear for the facts http://www.stihl.us/blowers/comparison.html
Old 09-30-2007, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

since when is scarface endorcing blowers? well mabey redmax could use him to plug the 8001 for fall cleanups-"say hellow to my little friend!"
Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
since when is scarface endorcing blowers? well mabey redmax could use him to plug the 8001 for fall cleanups-"say hellow to my little friend!"
He doesn't but bufard or what ever his screen name is thinks so from not comprehending my first post. Him being a home owner guy and not a professional LCO fails to realize that their are a crap load of LCO's on lawn site that know more about Sthil than some tech rep that answerers the phone at sthil. Just like some guys hear know more about exmark than some exmark dealers do. A perfect example is a hard comparison document published by sthil and contradicted by some teen tech rep that just happened to answer the phone at sthil. This is a clear indication of how GREEN the tech in training is. If bufard just wants to just choke the people who replies to his question and chooses to hold the Sthil tech guy up high and worship him why is he asking for help in the firstplace. Baiting LCO's into a blower discussion just so he can spue erroneous information to stroke his own ego maybe? what other explanation could their be? He needs to go to the Home owner section of this web site and get off the pro pages I was only trying to help the guy and he spits in my face