Old 10-01-2007, 05:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well what ever it is that I did to offend you, I apologize
Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Well is it the 55 or the 85?

Because I use the 55 but I also spent the extra 10 or 15 and got the flat-tip 65 nozzle, they're the same cc's and I suspect this is the only difference. The 55 does have cruise control thou mine broke (first one on all my stihls thou) and I find the power adequate for late spring - early fall grass cutting season.

The 85 might do something but I think it's too heavy, I like the 55 it doesn't wear me out at all.

Once things get heavy ain't no handheld gonna do it anyhow, 300 cfm's at 170 or so mph, only other use for it is to put it in your left hand when using the backpack wow what a combo

When I bought my 55 a couple of years ago, it came with both nozzles. Did my dealer screw up and give me both, or did the flat one being optional change recently?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Buford, we're Lco's, not mechanics, we do what we can but we're still not auto shop owners. Some to most of us run synthetic oil and premium fuel and high performance parts to make sure it doesn't crap out, which means we need the right equipment first so that we CAN abuse it and I think we prefer those machines where all we do is dump fuel in the tank...
And that's all most of us do, it's all we can do, spark plug and air filter and fuel is what we are limited to because it's not our problem.
Or should we be asking what's a homeowner doing in the business owner section?

Just messin' with ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_Deere View Post
When I bought my 55 a couple of years ago, it came with both nozzles. Did my dealer screw up and give me both, or did the flat one being optional change recently?
Probably just different dealers, 10 bucks either way and I specifically asked for it, nice they threw it in for you thou.

Last edited by topsites; 10-01-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are good brands. Dont get hung up on the specs of this one has that, but that one has this. It can drive you crazy. I've used both brands and still do, and have never had a problem.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the 85 has a cat muffler, also. it also has cruise control, not a speed lock like the 55 and is only 4 ounces heavier than the 55. i tested both side-by-side. the 85 is more powerful. it was a no-brainer for me (some say that came naturally) and easily worth the $$. the output of the echos specs out closer to the 55 than the 85.
buford, you might try a little less angry approach to your replies. i realize that eskis jumped a little hard. you are right that the 55 and 85 have the same displacement. it is reasonable to assume that the differences are in the jetting and the muffler. you have to let some of these things go. a short, pointed retort usually gets the point across. if it doesn't, ignore it and move on.
there are lots of very knowledgeable folks on here and some that think they know everything. you may belong in the first category, but you first few post would lead most to believe that you belong to the latter. you join on thursday and immediately begin to pick fights. not the best move to win friends and influence people. not that you care to do either, i'm sure.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Well nmurph, I can understand why buford24d might get a little testy with the cold welcome he received from estrogen and the wise remarks you just made as well, but what singes the fur on my buttox is how you refer to us as homeowners. If it wasn't for homeowners giving you business, and they also keep the businesses you do open as well with their patronage, some of you would problably have to take up residence in the local Wamart parking lot where the only roof over your head is the pickup truck your sleeping in. I decided to take the liberty of e-mailing stihl and they told me the only difference between the BG55 and the BG85 engines are the mufflers. He said the 55 muffler is more restrictive than the 85. He said the block, carb,piston and crankshaft are the same parts. He said the impeller is also the same. The blower housing is different because of the cruise control and handle. Whether this fellow just came out of wearing diapers or not is irrelevant. I'm sure he probably referenced his material from the engineers that design the machines. I think they probably know a lot more about the technical aspects than us consumers do. Now I know a lot of you are probably a bit upset that you spent all of that extra money on the BG85 when all you had to do was gut out a restricted muffler, and I know you also probably feel cheated that your favorite manufacturer fooled you into spending all that extra money when you didn't have to, hell a hundred bucks buys a lot of cold Bud, But to jump all over a good old boy like buford24d is just shameless, and I think you all should give him a big old sorry buford. Now I would't blame hinm if he never came back, but that's just me. I'm sure buford24d is a better man than that, hell, probably better than all of us. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

clem,
apparently you got that Bic to close to your brain when you were burning the hairs on your behind. no where in my post did i refer to you or Big B as such. if you actually took the time to read my post you would see that i defended B from eskis and agreed that the 55 and 85 are essentially the same machine, not withstanding their performance, which is like saying Rosanne and Heidi Klum.
please, re-read the entire post, paying special attention to the last paragraph.

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 10-02-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: language
Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Well murph, I read it as I saw it. It looked as though you were calling buford24d a know it all. Some may not take that to kindly. Unless of course I misinterpreted you wrong. I was using som carb cleaner with the garage closed up earlier that night. At least I think it was that night. Say, what happened to that last post that Buford24d posted. That was funny. Are these moderators men or woman? Any way murph, sorry if I misread you.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clifford View Post
Well murph, I read it as I saw it. It looked as though you were calling buford24d a know it all. Some may not take that to kindly. Unless of course I misinterpreted you wrong. I was using som carb cleaner with the garage closed up earlier that night. At least I think it was that night. Say, what happened to that last post that Buford24d posted. That was funny. Are these moderators men or woman? Any way murph, sorry if I misread you.

Clem for the record I did apologize to Mr. B, so don't think I am a total prick.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Mr. escobar, I never insinuated that you were for one second, And I commend you for your apology. I apoligize for not mentioning that in my posting. Like I said, it's cold here and I may have used a bit too much carb cleaner that night, not to mention a couple of beer chasers afterwards. I say we let by gone's be by gones and get back to why we're all here in the first place. Talking and sharing our thoughts about one of our most prized possessions, Good old American lawn maintenance equipment.