Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2007, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For about a 1/4 acre I Charge about $40 and if alittle bigger any where from $50-70. Nothing to crazy. I just wanna do it right and get paid. But I truely hate hitting stuff in the ground like rocks and big tree roots I guess.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmypolish View Post
For about a 1/4 acre I Charge about $40 and if alittle bigger any where from $50-70. Nothing to crazy. I just wanna do it right and get paid. But I truely hate hitting stuff in the ground like rocks and big tree roots I guess.
wow, I don't think I could do it for that cheap, unless I owned my own perhaps! That's less than I charge many times for just a cut/trim job!
I've gotta take into mind the fact that I'm renting. How long does it take u to do 1/4 acre?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can't see how it would take 1.5 hours to mow with a 42" cut. Is it a homeowner mower? I can mow with a 48" cut in about 30-35 minutes.

I do not overlap. I imagined it taking a lot longer, I was suprised myself. I guess to a point, when you mow with a rider "I'm assuming this is what you have) it is very ineffecient, having to back over areas mowed, cutting corners short and mowing over areas again if your racetracking it, ect.

With a walk behine aerator, its back and forth, no going over areas twice, backing up around obsticles, ect.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
I can't see how it would take 1.5 hours to mow with a 42" cut. Is it a homeowner mower? I can mow with a 48" cut in about 30-35 minutes.

I do not overlap. I imagined it taking a lot longer, I was suprised myself. I guess to a point, when you mow with a rider "I'm assuming this is what you have) it is very ineffecient, having to back over areas mowed, cutting corners short and mowing over areas again if your racetracking it, ect.

With a walk behine aerator, its back and forth, no going over areas twice, backing up around obsticles, ect.
Yeah, it is a homeowner 42 inch rider. It kinda sucks, but it's the one time I get to sit on my but. Other than that I use my 36 on almost all others. Sometimes I can get it cut in about an hour, when I do straight lines, all the way from the front to back yard, but sideways and perpendicular lines take a lot longer due to so many more turn arounds. Plus they have several big trees with very low branches that I have to slow down, duck and dodge.

How large of an aerator do u use?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

green-pa,

I live in Indy and also have customers asking about this. This is also my first season so I have been following the post but now have something to add. I called Tru Green today and asked about aeration and seeding for a 10,000 sq ft lot. They replied that they can't do it because they are booked for the rest of the season(2100 accounts to do) but if they did they would be charging $187 just to aerate and $370 to aerate and seed. Also, sunbelt is charging $93 a day to rent an aerator for 24 hours.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR1818 View Post
green-pa,

I live in Indy and also have customers asking about this. This is also my first season so I have been following the post but now have something to add. I called Tru Green today and asked about aeration and seeding for a 10,000 sq ft lot. They replied that they can't do it because they are booked for the rest of the season(2100 accounts to do) but if they did they would be charging $187 just to aerate and $370 to aerate and seed. Also, sunbelt is charging $93 a day to rent an aerator for 24 hours.

This post is accurate for the St. Louis area too...TG gets good rates. I hope everyone reading this stops lowering prices and starts raising them. People around me are aerating for less than the customer could do it themselves.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i know. Ive seen ads for $49 to aerate. thats crazy. If the customer did it themselves it would be 70 to rent aerator and at least 30-40 for seed. thats 110-120 to do it themselves.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR1818 View Post
green-pa,

Gosh darn! I was hoping it was like $50 to rent one. Oh well, just have to pass it on to the customer. Yeah, I called em today too. But they told me $95 for aeration and $185 for aeration and overseeding for 1/4 acre. I wonder why they told u more??
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can't rent the aerator and do one customer. Well, you can, but your never going to make any money that way. You need to start selling aeration in the spring, when you are signing up customers, sell all year long for a tentative date. For example, whenever I signed up a customer, starting in march, I would push aerating/overseeding. When they agreed, I said "Great, the best time to do this is in the fall, we will be here during the month of september to complete these services. I did this with every one I sold all year long. September 1st, I send out a reminder letter so they would know what I was doing on their lawn if they forgot.

Rent the machine for however many days you think it will take you to complete, or if you have enough, get a helper and rent two machines for a few days, and you will be pulling in possibley thousands per day. At least over a thousand anyway. Makes the $88 rental worth it
Old 10-02-2007, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i actually called another co that was advertising $40 aeration to do some lawns for me but i never heard back from him . the guy that does all my chemical work used to work for TG and Hansens both big co's here. he charges $25 just to show up and then $25 per 1000 sq ft.