Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo Trimmer

I have an Echo SRM-210 that is about one year old, and does not have very much use. It has trouble starting after being hot. After it has been used to trim, it is shut off, then when i go to start it again at no choke and idle it will fire 3-4 times then quit. I normally have to give it full throtle. This has never been the case.
I have always started all my equiptment at idle, and never had a problem.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What does "firing 3 or 4 times and quits" tell you? To start at idle, even after being hot, everything has to be adequate--clean fuel filter, clean plut, clean antispark screen/muffler port, proper air/gas ratio, etc. In a year of use, with no maintenance those things change. It will also depend on how long the unit has sat before trying to restart. Personally, I never try to start/restart at idle position and although I could be wrong, I would guess that owners manuals recommend starting at full throttle.

Dutch
Old 09-30-2007, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

It has clean air filter, good plug, NO spark arrestor, and i am taking about i just trimmed around a whole property and i need to turn it back on immediatly after turning off.

Manual says for COLD START - prime it 4- 5 times, full thottle, choke... As soon as it fires, move to no choke and let it IDLE to warm up for several minutes

for HOT START - put to no choke, no throttle, and start
Old 09-30-2007, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't get it to idle or start when it is hot without some trouble.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:50 PM

Does it run ok at full throttle after it finally starts?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

yes, it does run fine at full throttle.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Godfather, couple things for you to check. How does the fuel filter look ? They are cheap so just replace it anyway.
Is there any fuel or damp spots around the hoses when you prime it ?
Does the throttle cable move all the way back to the idle screw when you release the trigger ?

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Well son, I think buford24d was on the right track by asking you how it runs at full throttle. It sounds to me like you have a carb problem . Most carbs operate differently at various throttle positions. At idle, the air idle needle is operational and at full throttle it is usually not. If your carb has an adjustment needle, it may be damaged or the air passage may be clogged with some foreign matter. You may have to remove your carb and clean it with an automotive throttle body cleaner. this includes all tubes and air holes inside the intake chamber. Spray every tiny hole that you can see. Sometimes they are hard to see. also, remove the adjustment needle if equipped and spray the hole as well. After that, blow clean compressed air through all of the holes as well. Dust Off is a good alternative to use if you do not own an air compressor. Make sure you get throttle body cleaner, not carb cleaner as the latter may damage some plastic parts inside the carb. Before you do this though, make sure you are using fresh gas and the carb bolts are in fact tight. I hope this will help you remedy your problem.