Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2007, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PAR36 halogen = #1 lamp for outdoor lighting

I happen to agree with nate. Anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about. Pound for pound can't be beat.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
I happen to agree with nate. Anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about. Pound for pound can't be beat.
I just had a the very same conversion with some professionals this week end. I explained it to them with this analogy: There are two kinds of swimming pools one is a packaged above ground vinyl liner pool with plastic coping and the other is a custom in ground gunite and plaster pool, tile trim, and stone coping. They both are classified as swimming pools, but not one of these designers would allow a vinyl liner pool in their projects. I stressed to them that if they allow pars to be installed in their projects they where in essence doing the same disservice to their clients.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is it that you have against PAR's Eden?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everything. There are no good par fixtures first of all, but lets just pretend there was. There is only one decent quality Par and that is the GE35WFL and I seldom use a lamp with that high a lumen output. While I seldom talk fixtures to my clients, I always talk to them about Pars vs. MR's in our first meeting and let them know their are vinyl pools and there are custom pools and you cannot compare them. I could go on and on but really Pars are like a artist with one brush and MR's are like having a whole bag of brushes in your tool bag. Paint how ever you want.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Their are only 2 good PAR's, that would be the mentioned 35W WFL GE and the 36 watt WFL sylvania. When a PAR get's wet it's no sweat. When a MR get's wet it's all over but the shouting. A well balanced diet includes both PAR's and MR's. I don't understand the problem.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Different things work for different people, no problem.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with pete on this one. I primarily use MRs, but when I need the power and spread of something larger; an MR can't match the Par for it's particular application. I won't limit myself to just one Paint brush when there are other ones that can do a better job for achieving a particular effect on the canvas.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I say to each his own, but to make a statement such as "If you don't think PAR's are #1 then you don't know what you are talking about?" Well, that's just ignorant. Everyone has their 1st choice of lighting products and/or lamps. You shouldn't try to belittle someone for not sharing your point of view.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to say that I discourage the use of PARs every day. They are emergency sign light bulbs. And as far as pread I think they are horrible. Now if I needed a 8 degree beam of light from a far distance the PAR36 is a reasonable bulb. Some think that because PARs are bigger than the MRs they give a wide flood. I disagree completely.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The PAR36 lamp does have its place. I have used Nine (9) of them in the last decade or so. Given that there are very few decent fixtures to install them into, given that their means of connection to the wiring system is prone to failure and that their lifespan is relatively limited, I generally opt for the use of MR16 lamps.

To state that a PAR36 lamp is the only option for large volume output and wide beamspread is misleading at best. There are a host of MR16 lamps that offer high output and wide beam spread. When used with filters your options increase even more. If you really want or need to 'pump up the volume' then look to AR111 lamps in commercial or specification grade fixtures.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA