Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Eddie, If I were Nate I would only take that bet if the pars were the GE 35 watters. Everybody knows any other par is junk and won't hold up. I would like to see the results of this one though. I often go back and forth on which light to use, but always seem to go with the MR because of the weathertight enclosures. I do like the power of the big pars though.
Which leads me to the next question: Why is it that the par lamp is only good, seemingly, in the 36/35watt variety? With the MR, you have choices. With the Par, it seems you are limited to only a certain type/brand and then only to a certain wattage. What is the skinny on that?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those that leave the 35/36 watt PAR floods out of their designs when they could clearly have a place because of an unfounded bias are doing their customers and themselves a disservice.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionLS View Post
Has anyone experimented or used a 12VAC Compact Fluorescent MR-16? The light output is comparable to a 50 watt halogen, but only consumes 5watts of energy. Light output is warm white.

I bought one to run some tests on, but turns out I have a bad lamp. I could see this unit working well in outdoor fixtures, because it will throw off some serious light.

-Anthony
Hi Anthony. I have never seen a CF in a MR16 Format. How very interesting! Is it the exact format and size of an MR16? 50mm dia? GU5.3 Pins?

I have experimented with a 12Vac Bi-Pin CF that Nightscaping uses in a couple of its newer fixtures. I found the light output to be adequate for soft flood lighting techniques but the lamp itself is quite large. There was also some concern about the CF lamp's ability to perform/start in cold climates.

Do you have more information on the lamp that you showed us here? I would appreciate a spec. sheet or a link to their website for more info.

Thanks and have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
You know "Pete", if you are really truly amazed and upset by what you read here, you can always choose not to participate. Seeing as many of your postings are nothing more then derogatory comments aimed at others, I am quite sure much of your participation here would not be missed at all.

Read my post again, CAREFULLY this time. I clearly stated "as far as I am aware".

James you should be careful how you word things. We know your committed to Bill Locklin and that is ok but to use an open ended statement "as far as I am aware" and then finish it with "Lets not re write history" it is pretty clear what you are trying to imply. I mean what side of the fence are you on here. Do you know the facts? IF so then you can call Nate out, but if you are not aware then why challenget his facts? Contrary to what you may think Nightscaping did not invent and introduce everything Low Voltage and the MR 16 is one of them.

As for the process Ushio uses why not contact Ushio yourself and speak to an engineer and hear for yourself their process of making an MR 16 specifficly their Eurostar. I would ba happy to share a few phone numbers for you to call should you try and gather this information. You may PM me.

Joey D.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Joey, I have used enough Ushio MR16 lamps to see the difference in performace first hand. I know what works here for me and that is the GE Constant Colour. For the few pennies more they are very much worth it.

Perhaps it is a climate thing?

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Perhaps it is.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
Those that leave the 35/36 watt PAR floods out of their designs when they could clearly have a place because of an unfounded bias are doing their customers and themselves a disservice.
Some may not like what Pete has to say sometimes, but this statement pretty much sums up this entire debate.

A true lighting professional shouldn't knock certain lamps simply because they don't like them. As a lighting designer all of us need to know what lamps and fixtures work best for certain applications and affects. If you are stuck on only 1 or 2 certain fixtures or lamps, then your next competitor that utilizes all different facets of fixtures and lamps will blow right by you and start diminishing your market place.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Compact Fluorescent MR-16

I returned the defective lamp and bought a new one today. Ahh this one works. At first, it didn't seem too bright.. but after 2 or 3 minutes, it gets much brighter. I wouldn't say it's a direct replacement for a incandescent 50 watt MR-16 though. I feel the output in lumens is equivalent to a MR-11 or about a 10 watt wedge base lamp. The unit gets a little warm...enough to melt snow, but not hot. Below is an actual photo of the unit and packaging header card.

Still not a lot of light for landscaping purposes, but enough for a boat, camper or mobile home.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extlights View Post
Some may not like what Pete has to say sometimes, but this statement pretty much sums up this entire debate.

A true lighting professional shouldn't knock certain lamps simply because they don't like them. As a lighting designer all of us need to know what lamps and fixtures work best for certain applications and affects. If you are stuck on only 1 or 2 certain fixtures or lamps, then your next competitor that utilizes all different facets of fixtures and lamps will blow right by you and start diminishing your market place.
I agree with this evaluation.