Register free!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

WOW! That is the first thing that comes to mind here. I think you all know where I probably stand here, I love the Par 36. I think there are situations where an MR16 could not do even close to what a Par could do. Although MR16's are more widely used and fixture choices far exceed those with PAR lamps to say that there isn't one good fixture utilizing a PAR lamp is pretty outlandish and in my opinion wrong. I know for a fact there is at least one good fixture because I make one the BIG BANG. sure it is big and bulky but somethings especially taller trees and architecture require a bigger bulkier lamp. One person said it here, they do not want to limit there tool box to one paint brush, I couldn't agree more. I have more pics then I can think of that would show what a great job a PAR 36 does.

WHAT"D YOU SAY BOUT MY MAMA??????

Old 10-01-2007, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Joey... I think that is an impressive photo. I personally don't think the lighting is very impressive though. Like a lot of the photos you show us, there is no subtlety here. Everything is overly pronounced and overly bright. Not to mention all of the visible sources in the ground.

This is of course my personal opinon and perhaps the client is thrilled. I try to impart a much more soft look to my designs. It is supposed to be dark at night after all! Sometimes less is more.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 10-01-2007, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

James-
This job is a Commercial jobsite. Commercial jobs will have different approaches and in this case needed to be brighter than your standard resdential design. Here they used Apollo well lights with the standard 35w WFL lamp. You mention the spots on the gound but when this design was done the thought of having this many aboive ground lights far outweighed the negatives of having some ground spots from where the light is being emmited. It is a fair trade I think. I would rather have a nice natural landscape during the day without having 40-50 stake mounted lights here.

But in the spirit of the post would you use MR16's for this??? I dont htink the MR16 would be the right choice for this job and that was the point I was making here.

Joey D.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Joey. Being a commercial job I can understand that the higher light levels would be justified. (then again, I have done a massive scale commercial project that was very soft and natural looking by design) At the very least I would have been looking for an eyebrow or a grate to remove the source glare at night. It really is distracting.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

very very distracting...mybe its a photo thing though...it may not be that glary in real life
Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well that was discuses but our problem was the slope. Any Eyerow would have knocked out to much light and our Eclipse Glare Shield stood to high for the client. We did however since this photos was taken add in Hex Louvers and Commercial Brass grates which have helped tremendously with the glare spots on the ground.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just needs a grate over the well and that's all. Otherwise for a boulevard of street trees on an entryway, I think the light level is very appropriate for the situation. More mellow lighting goes into areas that are more personal and those in which the viewer is interacting with the environment on a more personal level. I like it.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont wanna hear anybody's crap about viewing the light source.!!

In grade lighting is in grade lighting.

Those look like high powered KIM fixtures. Probably 220V... let me get my sunglasses on

It looks great.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Well that was discuses but our problem was the slope. Any Eyerow would have knocked out to much light and our Eclipse Glare Shield stood to high for the client. We did however since this photos was taken add in Hex Louvers and Commercial Brass grates which have helped tremendously with the glare spots on the ground.
Joey you don't have to explain or make excuses for anything. That job is friggin amazing. Anyone who says it's too bright is just plain jealous because they have no clue in hell how to get 12 volts to a lamp. I saw some photos from another guy who has a website and is always knocking unique for surface brightness. I have news for this guy he has no clue. I'm sure his lights run at 8 and 9 volts based on the hiddeous photos he showed on the site. Jealosy is a horrible thing and I see much of it here with many of the remarks made. Don't take the remarks made to heart by a bunch of guys who are home during working hours sitting in front of the computer because they have no lighting job to go to.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteTymeIlluminations View Post
Well stated James...Pete I just have a question for you though...for someone who uses Ace connectors solely...i'm a little shocked at your idea that PARs are the best lamp for outdoor lighting...where does all this stem from...do you track the life of your bulbs? What does you statement stem from? how many jobs have you used PARs vs MRs or ARs? I'm just curious?
probably 80 percent MR and 20 percent PAR when it comes to reflector bulbs. As stated earlier there is only one wattage lamp that is worth anything so it limits it's application. I will use a PAR over a FMW almost any day of the week. I can tell you from my own experience that a halogen PAR on average out lives an MR hands down.