Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
In previous posts you have stated you used the osram lamp. So which one is it the osram or the GE?
We carry 5 MR's just in BAB all the time. First choice is the Precise, We go with the Titan if we need a BAB60 then, if we need a low lumen BAB60 then we use the Ushio, if we need more lumens than the Precise we go to the Titan BAB35 which is great when your using a lens since it is much more powerful than the Precise. Last would be special applications and a need for even higher lumens which we would use the Osram IR lamps in BAB40 and BAB60. Then if we still need more light we start this process all over in the 35 watt range. This process doesn't include when a narrow beam is need for special effects. We have spread sheets on lamp #'s, lumens, and all other specs. on the trucks for qick reference and stocking. Man it would be so much easier to just stock the PAR3635WFL wouldn't it.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for your fine words of encouragement guys!! I suppose i will stick around!! By the way Eden I do like the photo shopped side!! LOL
Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Lights View Post
We carry 5 MR's just in BAB all the time. First choice is the Precise, We go with the Titan if we need a BAB60 then, if we need a low lumen BAB60 then we use the Ushio, if we need more lumens than the Precise we go to the Titan BAB35 which is great when your using a lens since it is much more powerful than the Precise. Last would be special applications and a need for even higher lumens which we would use the Osram IR lamps in BAB40 and BAB60. Then if we still need more light we start this process all over in the 35 watt range. This process doesn't include when a narrow beam is need for special effects. We have spread sheets on lamp #'s, lumens, and all other specs. on the trucks for qick reference and stocking. Man it would be so much easier to just stock the PAR3635WFL wouldn't it.
What? You mean we have choices? WOW! Just imagine what I can do now!
, GA Lic#LVG105244
www.JohnsonLightingInc.com
Old 10-02-2007, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Eden, how do you ever keep track of all the different lamps on every job? It has got to be a maintenance nightmare. I am not talking about the maintenance 6 months after the install, I am talking about the maintenance 3-4 years later. It has got to be hard or almost impossible to remember what beam and what lamp at what lumen you use in each fixture?? I am not implying you should only use one lamp but from what you just described it sounds pretty tuff to keep up with which lamp went where.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Eden, how do you ever keep track of all the different lamps on every job? It has got to be a maintenance nightmare. I am not talking about the maintenance 6 months after the install, I am talking about the maintenance 3-4 years later. It has got to be hard or almost impossible to remember what beam and what lamp at what lumen you use in each fixture?? I am not implying you should only use one lamp but from what you just described it sounds pretty tuff to keep up with which lamp went where.
I have to agree with you there Joey. As long as someone is a one or two man show, this is feasible. However, once a business grows to a larger crew, this may become problematic.

What systems do you have in place Eden in order to make this more scalable? Do you have logs of some sort or a program that tracks customer info such as ACT! ?

By the way, ACT! is a great customer relationship management (CRM) program that can be purchased for about $50 on ebay used. For anyone with a large or rapidly growing client list, this can help tremendously with keeping track of things such as types of lamps, etc.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am a big believer in As Built drawings and job documentation so I could se ehow you could track it. The problem is just like you stated bmwsmity, if your not the guy going out there in 3 or 4 years do you send your guy with an as built and form of the types of lamps used where?? Seems like an obsticle, one that can be hurdled but not without a lot of effort and time.

I know a lot of people use lots of different lamps, to me I just see it as a maintenance nightmare. It is part of why we preach using designer lenses vs. different beam spread lamps.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

James,
I would be very interested in these hour meters. That is a fantastic idea to monitor hours in that manner. Do you find you are getting the full 3000 hours with the GEs?

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Joey,
I do a list of bulbs used on every job and file it in my maintenace folder for when I need it. When it comes due I just pull the bulbs I need and off I go.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Seems simple enough
Old 10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
James,
I would be very interested in these hour meters. That is a fantastic idea to monitor hours in that manner. Do you find you are getting the full 3000 hours with the GEs?
It really depends on the system and where the installation is located in. We are in a very rugged, rural area with an old electrical supply grid. The biggest problem we have here with lamps is power conditioning. The transients and 'dirty power' that come down the line to my client's is sometimes mind boggling. Then add in the lighting strikes and the associated problems with them and the odds of a MR16 Halogen lamp lasting 3K to 4K hours is reduced.

That being said, I have some jobs where I regularly see the GE lamps lasting 4.5K to 5K hours. It all depends. On my large installations I now ensure that the property is fitted with a Main Panel Surge Protector (Whole home). These go a long way to solving premature lamp failures.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA