Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2007, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
That well Light is hideous and would never sit up out of the ground.
Joey, the lamps are the same distance from the ground. I can bury that well down to China, but it wont look any different on the wall.

Quote:
And who would light a sided plain white wall like that anyway with a well.
The wall is brown and is a excellent place for me to look at fixture and lamp photometrics. Brick, Stucco, Stone, it would look the same on anything. Tell me what to order with a par in it from Unique and I will buy one tomorrow and put it up on the wall? If you are suggesting a bi-pin flood, let me know which unit and we can compare it to say a KIM KLV215 on the wall?

Quote:
I mean you could but ofcourse the bullet will win out there.
Thanks Joey - 1 vote MR and 0 votes for the PAR.

I knew I liked you!

Last edited by Eden Lights; 10-15-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

this ist over.........................
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Eddie you got to come better than that. That was like comparing a Turd to a Sunset.
holy crap, thats a good one joey!

actually, eddie, some customers LOVE LOVE LOVE the way PARs cast light in the way you illustrated. i had a builder that became almost belligerent when i used an MR instead of his beloved PAR. this dude LOVED the vast array of PAR lights that delivered an almost prison-yard amount of light all over the front of his personal home (note: this was done by another contractor).

after trying to explain my selection of fixture via photometric data, i finally capitulated and swapped some of the lights out for wells when i got the hint that he only wanted PARs.

i personally prefer MR photometrics over PAR, however, I reiterate that it isn't about what us "pros" think looks good, its what the customer - you know, the one who pays us - thinks looks good.

as much as it hurts to go against our own ideas of beauty, sometimes that's exactly what we must do. maybe i'm just old fashioned?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pete says.... MR's are unfortunately the workhorse of outdoor lighting. The good things I can say is they are small which results in a small fixture, easy to add lenses and they are powerful with many wattages and beamspreads. They do not have a good wide flood when placed within a fixture. They require deep shielding or they are a glare bomb. Deep shielding cuts off the lamp spread which in return makes the lamp spotty (yes I know correction lenses)

As discussed before there is only 1 good PAR lamp which severely limits it's application. I have found that particular lamp to last longer on average than MR's and be more durable. Furthermore it has it's own lens which gets changed with the bulb supposing your not using a lensed fixture.

I wouldn't pigeon hole a contractor who uses this lamp as any less of an installer for using it. That just isn't fair. Using only one lamp on a project may or may not be the right thing to do depending upon that particular project. I do though consider the use of bayonet lamps the sign of an amatuer . Especially those path lights pointed down with no lens (tulips). That lamp has questionable life to begin with and when it's hit with water it seperates from the brass shell and hangs like an orphaned testicle.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL.................It's like a comedy show tonight! That was one of the funniest descriptions ever!!!! LOL

"That lamp has questionable life to begin with and when it's hit with water it seperates from the brass shell and hangs like an orphaned testicle"
Pete Scalia On Bayonet Lamps / Tail Lights
Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love you guys, but man this place is costing me money and a lot of sleep!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
LOL.................It's like a comedy show tonight! That was one of the funniest descriptions ever!!!! LOL

"That lamp has questionable life to begin with and when it's hit with water it seperates from the brass shell and hangs like an orphaned testicle"
Pete Scalia On Bayonet Lamps / Tail Lights
If not an orphaned then a descended one at the very least. But you get the picture.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunatly I do............LOL
Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never seen a Hadco well light like that before....it looks more like something that OLP uses...either PM or B&B....unless it's an old Hadco? Anyway...I think people have their own ways of design. Nothing bugs me more than seeing a home lit up with all MR16's...or even all PAR's for that matter. It shows a complete lack in design skills in my opinion, or they just wanted to get the job and get out without spending much thought on it. Again..to each their own...as long as the customer is happy.

I'm definately the minority here. I don't like using MR's on the facade of the home (unless down lighting of course). A lot of it will depend on window placement however, the height and pitch of the peaks, the grading going up to the home, and whether the home is sided, stucco, or brick...plus many other factors. The same can go with trees...what kind of tree, what size is the tree, what you are trying to emphasize on the tree..etc. I don't think there is a good solid answer to which fixture/bulb is better just because it can be easily said that each bulb has it's place.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extlights View Post
I've never seen a Hadco well light like that before....it looks more like something that OLP uses...either PM or B&B....unless it's an old Hadco? Anyway...I think people have their own ways of design. Nothing bugs me more than seeing a home lit up with all MR16's...or even all PAR's for that matter. It shows a complete lack in design skills in my opinion, or they just wanted to get the job and get out without spending much thought on it. Again..to each their own...as long as the customer is happy.

I'm definitely the minority here. I don't like using MR's on the facade of the home (unless down lighting of course). A lot of it will depend on window placement however, the height and pitch of the peaks, the grading going up to the home, and whether the home is sided, stucco, or brick...plus many other factors. The same can go with trees...what kind of tree, what size is the tree, what you are trying to emphasize on the tree..etc. I don't think there is a good solid answer to which fixture/bulb is better just because it can be easily said that each bulb has it's place.
Fixture in the picture with the 384 is a old B&B or OLP, same company. The fixture in the night time comparison shot is a brand new Hadco unit.