Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-04-2007, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
Well, fertilizing is much easier than mowing/trimming and requires less expenses in gas. I'd like to make my usual $40/hr but would settle for a bit less. I'm looking at 15000 sq foot bag for $25. I'm thinking it would only take about 10 minutes to spread over 5k lol. But then there's the gas and time it take to drive to that 5k home! So if it costs me $9 in fert, $2 in gas, and takes overall 20 minutes including application and drive time, I'd say $25 would be ok, as long as I have several others lined up for that day, otherwise it's not worth making a special trip. But I want to know what u guys charge cause if it's too low, I'm not going to waste my time. I know these big companies like tru green, ect, will do it for less, but I'm hoping my customers will stick with me on this.
How about the time it takes you to study and pass the license test? Doesn't that count for something?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's lawn service View Post
If I didn't I would be a real @$$ for telling you to get yours wouldn't I!

I don't have the Lic. so I don't spray...

I don't want him to get in trouble for spraying with out a Lic.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It won't matter, because in a few short years, there will be a thousand guys out there doing it in your area, and guess what will happen to the market then? The same thing that happened to the mowing industry - that has been ruined ever since. Name me one other business in this whole entire world tat hasn't had any price increase in the last 20 years. As a matter of fact, compared to the cost of living and all other expenses, it has gone down. Even more than that, and what is a total joke, is that some places are actually even paying less today than they were back then. I know of one apt. complex I did 20 years ago for $360 per cut. It is now being done for $240.
Well, the same thing is going to happen to the "fertilizer" market. The thin you have to do guys, is think ahead. Think outside of everyone else is doing and plan to stay a step ahead. 15-20 years ago, the fert. and chem. for lawns market WAS the thing to look in to. There is a new niche coming, now.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.