Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2007, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

starting out in aprox 5 months~ equipment ?

looking to start out in the lawn care buisness after the winter is over....as of now i dont have much equipment...to get started im looking to get a push mower and a self propelled mower 2 weed whackers a blower really wanna back pack blower but seem to be expensive...does anyone have any recomendations for the pre mentioned items as far as brands and size speed etc. and how much they should run...im estimating i have about 3 grand for equipment...is that enough to get me up and running? i have been visiting this site for a few days now and notice that this site is very helpful and i look foward to giving my insight and knowledge as well as recieving others...any help is greatly appreciated~
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i started when i was 16, with limited equipment(residential rider mower), 10' trailer, trimmer, bp blower. residential mowers don't stand up to the day to day use. So, i went to the bank so to speak and spent $10,000 on equipment, i was just about to turn 17. Seemed kind of crazy at first. I bought a KUBOTA 54" zero turn. 3 year payment plan w/ 0% interest. Great deal. I also picked up a 12' trailer. You need to spend the money at first to make the real money. I now just have 11 months left to pay on it. I also recently traded in my suv for a f150. So my advice: don't go small for very long...if possible. Buy the best stuff that you can afford, even if it hurts. It takes some time to really learn the ropes and learn how to estimate jobs...
Any questions...?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im 22 also starting off and this site has been really really good info but I think im on a good start, But we'll see. Looking to buy a good used Dump truck or so B/c I still have around 30 Grand in the bank to spend with is good but I only want a Truck for around 10K or so.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep working your job and save as much money as you can, from now until the day you start working as an Lco.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$3,000.00!?!?!?! That could get you a new 5x10 trailer-$1000.00, an echo srm-230 trimmer-$280.00, A echo handheld blower-$200.00, and $1,520.00 left toward a new or used WB.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you could pick up a nice used 5 x 10 trailer for around $300.00-$600.00 , but youve got to look around and be smart about it.

get a walkbehind. you wont regret it.
-1999 Scag SWZ Hydro Walk-Behind 17hp Kawasaki 52" Deck
-T230 Shindaiwa Trimmer w/ Speed Feed
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-Stihl KM110R w/ Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you could pick up a nice used 5 x 10 trailer for around $300.00-$600.00 , but youve got to look around and be smart about it.

get a walkbehind. you wont regret it.
-1999 Scag SWZ Hydro Walk-Behind 17hp Kawasaki 52" Deck
-T230 Shindaiwa Trimmer w/ Speed Feed
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-Stihl KM110R w/ Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BUY USED COMMERCIAL EQUIPMENT. Spend the winter looking, test-driving and comparing deals on used equipment. Dont do as myself and others have done and go out and buy all new equipment, not knowing what your 'niche' will be. Maybe you wont mow all small lawns, and you'll need bigger mowers. maybe you wont mow all big lawns and the smaller mowers will work. Maybe you'll find that a good, used handheld blower is all you need.
As soon as you take that shiny new mower, trailer, b/p blower off the showroom floor, it just lost ALOT of its value. If you need to sell it, or change equipment, you may have a tough time getting your money back out of it.
Start with GOOD used equipment, make it pay for itself as quick as possible, bank as much money as possible, always save for a rainy day, expect breakdowns b/c they will happen with new or used equipment.
Who knows, maybe you wont even like mowing lawns when its 100 degrees and high humidity next summer. If you've got a whole shed full of new equipment that you cant recover your costs from ,then what??
Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Id Buy A Used Trailer 300-1000 Bucks...spend About 500-700 On Handhelds (commercial Grade)...buy A Nice 21inch Trim Mower Self Propelled And That Last Of The Money Should Get You A Desent Used Walkbehind 36-48in....and Another Thing Do U Have Something To Tow A Trailer With??
echo trimmers
red max back pack blower
sthil chain saws

My Page:
[url]http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258151[/]

...love what you do, do what you love, life is good...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

im def going with a used trailer as of right now i have a toyota camry towing is an issue but im looking to trade in the camry for a truck nothing big maybe like a ford ranger type truck... i think ill befine with a hand held blower at first...i have seen what looks 2 be commercial grade walk behinds that have a "deck" in the back that u stand on it looks allmost exactly identical to most of the walk behinds i have seen anyone know what this is and if so how much they run? im worried about what i will use on a bigger lawn...also if the smaller truck idea will work for what the normal lawn care provider hauls?? any help is great thanks guys... really lookin for the answer to that walk behind with that stand on deck ~