Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2007, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Blower for 11 year old

I've been in the lawn business for a couple of years only part time and have about 10 lawns. Thats about my limit due to another full time job. My son who's 11 years old go's with me and cuts the grass with a 36" walk behind while I do the trimming, edging and blowing, he does some edging and trimming and has his own trimmer thats a smaller size for him. He's recently picked up a couple of accounts near home but he's got to go solo on these because I just don't have the time. So what were looking for is a blower thats a little smaller for his size, I have a husqvarna 155BT backpack but it's to big for him. He wants a husqvarna 125BT backpack, any suggestions out there for a backpack -vs- a hand-held blower for a 11 year old ? Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look at that little itty-bitty one that Echo has.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Others will disagree but I would recommend a homelite handheld blower. I started out with one and still have it. Its 3 years old, Starts first pull everytime. Its cheap, light weight, and is plenty enough power for driveways.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I'll be the bad guy

I'm not against having children work or anything, but, please reconsider letting your child use the 36 wb. Its a big machine that can be very unforgiving.

on the blower, I would use a handheld, which puts the noise further from his ears. less chance of doing any damage.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
Ok I'll be the bad guy

I'm not against having children work or anything, but, please reconsider letting your child use the 36 wb. Its a big machine that can be very unforgiving.

on the blower, I would use a handheld, which puts the noise further from his ears. less chance of doing any damage.
I think its great as long as he is careful. Some 11 year olds are not like typical children. My 13 year old son could easily be passed off as a 16-17 year old (He is taller than me and actually one of the largest kids at his school). When it comes to working a WB my son could do it easily, and likely better than me if he was so inclined.

Using a walk behind is probably safer than if he was playing out in street on a skateboard like alot of kids!!

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Last edited by cgaengineer; 10-03-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For the OP, take a look at the Stihl BG85, its pretty light weight and is a commercial unit and will likely give you years of service. I have a BR600, but when I blow out garage or back porch I always reach for the hand held as its easier to use and has plenty of power.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I think its great as long as he is careful. Some 11 year olds are not like typical children. My 13 year old son could easily be passed off as a 16-17 year old (He is taller than me and actually one of the largest kids at his school). When it comes to working a WB my son could do it easily, and likely better than me if he was so inclined.

Using a walk behind is probably safer than if he was playing out in street on a skateboard like alot of kids!!
I agree. Working is fine. but the key is to keep safe. If something happened to him while he was using the mower.....I couldn't live with myself.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
I would use a handheld, which puts the noise further from his ears. less chance of doing any damage.
Or, he could just wear ear plugs.

I think that Echo 261 backpack blower would be a good idea; small, light, cheap, and it'll last longer than a Homelite.

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Or, he could just wear ear plugs.

I think that Echo 261 backpack blower would be a good idea; small, light, cheap, and it'll last longer than a Homelite.
Id put peltors or something better than plugs. most plugs are made for adult ears which have a larger canal. the smaller canal can create a poor fit with the wrong size plugs...

i think no matter what he's using, plugs or muff, and glasses are a definite no question asked.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't want to be a bad guy either. but what happens if the sity stops to check on you. How do you explain the 11 year old?

I realize family members do not always have to be considered employees, but they will make sure you are following saftey laws.

It does happen. I've been spot checked twice by my city this year.