Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kubota ZD21 60" safety switch issue?

I have been having a heck of a time battling no start issues. My diesel kubota ZD21 has roughly 800 hours on it in which It will sometimes start and sometimes not start at all. When I mean not start I mean the shutoff solonoid will actuate like it should but when you turn the key it does nothing. It leaves me to beleive its a safety switch that has failed. I had sent the seat safety switch off to the company who makes them and they sent me a new replacment. I put it under the seat and hooked it up and it fired right away. Since that one time its gone back to its normal ways.

Not to sure how to check to see what safety switch has gone bad? I brought it to a dealership to have them look at it and they charged me $168.00 just to tell me its fine due to the fact that everytime they sat on the seat to start it worked fine. 30 minutes later I brought it home and it would not start. Is there not a relay I can pull that will do away with the safety switches? from what I have heard kubotas relay/switch system is more complex than the average mower which makes it near impossible to do away with some of the safety swtiches.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Intermittent problems like yours can be a real pain to find. I would suggest checking the battery connections and main engine ground if you have not already done so. I have seen where the battery post, mostly on the positive side, will get corroded enough to allow a small amount of current to pass, but once the high draw from the starter hits the already poor connection it will open the circuit making nothing happen, same type of thing on the ground wire. Hope you find the issue.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks ill check that out tonight. It pains me from the fact that one day it will run all day fine. The next not at all.....and to boot sometimes it will fire up in the morning we load it up and get the the first account and it won't start. It has a sealed battery box that I have not looked at yet so I will give that a try.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked the battery. The + side was a little dirty so I cleaned it and checked the ground to the block and the cable to the starter. All seem very tight and the cables do not have any rips in them. Still no luck

You turn the key and you can hear the grid heater turning on and the fuel shutdown solonoid will click to the run position. But as soon as you turn the key all the way it does nothing at all.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Fix

I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be my battery. I was totally convinced it was the safety switch system as well. I took my battery to Autozone and they said it had a bad cell. Bought the new battery, hooked it up and cranked up like a charm. This is after wasting 4 hours screwing around with the wiring.