Register free!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

municapalities?

question went to a pre bid meeting today and wondering if bidding for maintenance on city grounds is worth while. any thought on the matter?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not a big fan of outsourcing but you guys have been helpful to some degree.

Question #1: What sort of area are you bidding on? Park, Athletic feilds, Right of ways... What is it you will be working on?

Question #2: How up to date is your equipment? Are you using your grandpa's 9N ford with a flail on a ball feild or do you have fairly nice equipment to do a good job? (No offence to 9N owners)

Question #3: How much time are YOU willing to invest. (this goes back to my first question) You need to get it in writting as to what they expect out of you and what you expect to get done. Most of the time, there are 2 very different ideas so a clear understanding is needed. (C.Y.A.) I hope your dealing with someone who knows what needs to be done other then "Oh, we need someone to just mow the grass!"
Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply i just got the letter saying that the bid went to the lowest bidder which wasn`t me, i`m still interested in the subject have you or anyone done city jobs and been paid good money for the work. to answer your questions, yes i have pretty good equipment that will do a good job, and the property that i was bidding on was the area between the sidewalk and the street and three large islands in the center of the street. wasn't aton of work but probably would have taken me and a worker a good 3 hrs to get the job done. it went to the low bidder, i know another company that bid(didn`t get it) and he bid 165/cut i thought that was low. any way if you have anymore thoughts on the matter they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Medials and Islands are pretty easy to do and can add a nice piece of change to your pocket. I know in my region their a pain in my ass because of their locations. They seem to add more windshield time going from spot to spot just to get them knocked out. I prefer to have those subcontracted out to guys like you.

I've seen some cities let lawn contractors take care of them for free if the contractor was allowed free reign to design a cool landscape for advertisement as long as it didnt create a traffic hazzard.

Some of my medials are irrigated and I'm responsible for repairs - yet another pain when cops are running speed traps and are parked on a valve box.

I'm betting next year the cat that beat you out may opt out next year or soon er once he gets into it.... Keep an eye on it and keep in touch with him, I'm sure he'll start gripping about it soon.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If this is the type of work you want to chase I suggest you pick up as many of these bid packages as you can and sit in the sidelines for a year or two. Most municipalities post or disclose their bid responses. See what the results come in at-you'd be suprised what some guys are working for. Crunch your numbers and go from there. This is generally high volume type work with very little regard to quality. 100 Acres of parks cut 24 times between 20 locations in a nearby town went for $22,000 a year around here. I dont know what he was thinking and thought he'd be out of business in a few months. But he did it and he's back this year. All other bids came in alot higher. The numbers don't make any sense sometimes-neither do some peoples justifications for them. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the post i`m thinking along the same lines, the bid went way under what i would have done it for and it just dosent seem like any of those bids go for good money. i think that i am going to stay away from them and focus more on the buisiness area, the city job was three times one of the new jobs that i landed this spring and the bid went for under what i am getting for my new client, thats rediculous if you ask me.