Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2007, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many hours u guys workin' a day?

I am curious to know what some of u dudes put in on avg. I put in usually around 20-25 hr/s week ( as that's all the customer's I have). So I go anywhere from 3-6 hr days usually. I've heard some of u guys mention working 10-12 hr days for 5 days a week or more. I want to know how do your hands, ears, and all that, hold up to all the vibrations for the period of time u put in each week? I'm doing well now, that thing I though that was corpal tunnel or whatever is gone. Maybe cause I got these $25 cushioned gloves and an Echo Trimmer vs a toybuilt. But is there any secrets to making it through 40, 50, 60 hr weeks or more and still feelin' good?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm doing about what you're doing because of the drought

During busy times anymore I just raise my prices, I much prefer spending a little more time in each customer's yard doing a good job than all that running around, and between higher prices and serious cherry picking I almost never have that problem anymore.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
I am curious to know what some of u dudes put in on avg. I put in usually around 20-25 hr/s week ( as that's all the customer's I have). So I go anywhere from 3-6 hr days usually. I've heard some of u guys mention working 10-12 hr days for 5 days a week or more. I want to know how do your hands, ears, and all that, hold up to all the vibrations for the period of time u put in each week? I'm doing well now, that thing I though that was corpal tunnel or whatever is gone. Maybe cause I got these $25 cushioned gloves and an Echo Trimmer vs a toybuilt. But is there any secrets to making it through 40, 50, 60 hr weeks or more and still feelin' good?
Well, it kinda depends. During the heavy growth season, when the days were longer, I wouldn't get in until 10 o'clock some nights, but now since its starting to get dark around 7, the work days are much shorter. I just stretch it out and what I can't get to one day, I push it up to the next. So far the customers haven't had a problem with it. Keeps me going each day though, only about 2 solid more weeks of growth left. As far as how to do it, my hands dont hurt, I wear ear protection, and I feel great. Just stay in shape and you should be fine. I play a lot of golf, stay in shape, and eat well. I usually don't get exhausted. The Echo trimmer can prob contribute to less vibration though.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm, I've been working about 20 hrs. a week this summer. Fridays I work from about 7:30 A.M. until about 5:00 P.M. That's about the most I do at one time, though. The drought has really slowed things down.

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Old 10-04-2007, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've worked up to 90 hour weeks on a regular basis before, I'm down to a nice comfortable 60 now, but I've never had any problems with my ears, my hands get a little rough but the more work you do, the better they hold up. Once you get a layer of calusus on them your hands actually have a layer of protection. If you have problems with vibrations try wearing a pear of Mechanix MPact gloves. They have a nice gel layer designed to absorb the vibrations from pnumatic impact guns for guys changing tires on pit road. And one other thing...Eat enough food even if its hot and all you want to do is drink. Your body still needs a good meal in it..and of course STAY HYDRATED

Chevy, GMC, and Ford Trucks, All Bob-Cat Mowers, Stihl Handhelds and Saws
Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm hittin oly about 20-25 a week now, the drought killed me here too. Just had my first customer say last mowing for the year too
2010 Ferris Evolution 48" cut 20 Hp
Kawasaki Line trimmer
Br600 Backpack Blower
Stihl chain saw
Stihl MM 55 Yard Boss
Misc handtools

Pictures of my trailer here

Pictures of some Landscape and structures I've done
Here
Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i typically work 8 hour days, 6 days a week.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

8-9 hours a day, but only 4-day weeks. The drought has really put a damper on things. I'm glad I do hardscaping.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

During this drought we are doing as much as you (20) hrs or so. If we have installs or landscaping then it is a little longer. During the growth season we are around 50 to 60 a week. I have allready had the carpal tunnel surgery allready. That was 6 years ago. You should use hearing protection allways. Plus there is nothing like a $600.00 seat for those Zs. LOL.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys come in at 745am, out the door by 8am and back in the barn by 430, and no later then 6pm. We have a 5 day work week, and try to keep the work days Monday thru Friday. The drought slowed us down a little, but all and all, we have manage to keep running at full load. We have everyone contracted thru the week of christmas, so I am not worried about people cancelling early.