Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2007, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
I've worked up to 90 hour weeks on a regular basis before, I'm down to a nice comfortable 60 now, but I've never had any problems with my ears, my hands get a little rough but the more work you do, the better they hold up. Once you get a layer of calusus on them your hands actually have a layer of protection. If you have problems with vibrations try wearing a pear of Mechanix MPact gloves. They have a nice gel layer designed to absorb the vibrations from pnumatic impact guns for guys changing tires on pit road. And one other thing...Eat enough food even if its hot and all you want to do is drink. Your body still needs a good meal in it..and of course STAY HYDRATED
Wow! 90 hours is incredible! Hopefully calluses will still develop even though I'm using gloves. I do eat well and work out too so I'm hoping to get stronger for next year. I actually have been using Mechanix $25 gloves with anti vibration padding in them. Although I'm not sure if it's gel in mine, they, along with using an Echo vs a home owner brand trimmer, have eliminatied the numbness in my fingers! THanks for the info Lugnut!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKER LANDSCAPE View Post
During this drought we are doing as much as you (20) hrs or so. If we have installs or landscaping then it is a little longer. During the growth season we are around 50 to 60 a week. I have allready had the carpal tunnel surgery allready. That was 6 years ago. You should use hearing protection allways. Plus there is nothing like a $600.00 seat for those Zs. LOL.
Was it the mowing/trimming that caused u to have to have the surgery? Did u not wear good gloves? How many years did it take to get that bad? My father had the surgery in both his hands after working on the railroad for over 40 years. I'm hoping to avoid it myself as I hate hospitals and the thought of being cut on.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
Guys come in at 745am, out the door by 8am and back in the barn by 430, and no later then 6pm. We have a 5 day work week, and try to keep the work days Monday thru Friday. The drought slowed us down a little, but all and all, we have manage to keep running at full load. We have everyone contracted thru the week of christmas, so I am not worried about people cancelling early.
Heh, i Know it's a bit off subject, but just curious: How much do u guys get for an avg 1/4 acre lot and for that matter an acre, in Atlanta? How many years did it take u to build up to your biz level now and how many guys u got working for u?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Fall work will be around 40 to 50 hrs a week
DR Lawn Vacuum walk behind and pull behind
Stihl SH 85 vacuum/ Blower
Trailermann Trailer
John Deere JS 20 Push Mower (2)

2002 Ford F150 FX4 Super Cab 4x4
Old 10-05-2007, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GreenPa
I worked a loading dock for 11 years that had alot to do with it. Plus the the self employment biz didn't help any.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

During the summer when I was working for my uncle and cutting grass, I was working any where from 8-13 hrs a day about 4 of them mowing and landscaping. Now that I am in school only about 3hrs a day.
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
Heh, i Know it's a bit off subject, but just curious: How much do u guys get for an avg 1/4 acre lot and for that matter an acre, in Atlanta? How many years did it take u to build up to your biz level now and how many guys u got working for u?
It really depends, I usually charge around 175 to 195 per month for full service. I am in my 4th year of business, and to be honest, I only took a few months to grow my business, but 2 years to get everything the way I wanted it to be. I now have a total of 8 guys working for me. Looking to possibly add at least 4 more next season, but it all depends on how many contracts I land between now and next season.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
It really depends, I usually charge around 175 to 195 per month for full service. I am in my 4th year of business, and to be honest, I only took a few months to grow my business, but 2 years to get everything the way I wanted it to be. I now have a total of 8 guys working for me. Looking to possibly add at least 4 more next season, but it all depends on how many contracts I land between now and next season.

Did u hire guys with prior experience only or how do u train them? I was thinking about hiring someone next year if I can grow my biz enough and train em in my back yard and only let them in back yards of people. I don't know. It would be nice just to have someone do the trim work. But are all the guys workers only or do u have 1 or 2 to head groups and just supervise?
How many accounts do u have? Surely over 150 right ( in order to justify 8 crew)?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
Did u hire guys with prior experience only or how do u train them? I was thinking about hiring someone next year if I can grow my biz enough and train em in my back yard and only let them in back yards of people. I don't know. It would be nice just to have someone do the trim work. But are all the guys workers only or do u have 1 or 2 to head groups and just supervise?
How many accounts do u have? Surely over 150 right ( in order to justify 8 crew)?
Only have 2 guys with prior experience, which for me was good because I was able to teach my other guys to do it the way I want it, and not have to worry about old habits. I dont think I would have survived this long if I hadnt start hiring. I was getting so swamped with work, that I could barely keep up. Getting help was the best thing I could have done. I went from coming home after dark just about everyday to getting home by 6 or 7. We train at my old home that we plan to finally sale sometime next spring. I was using it was my office, but we have surely out grown it. We practice and teach everything on this lawn, and a few of the neighbors who benefit from some of the things. But I have 2 Foremens, and 1 Operations Mgr. The other 5 guys are just worker bees. One of my foremen is a Seasoned brickmason, and his addition has been awesome. We currently have after picking up 6 accounts today 267. We are actually over booked for my 2 crews, but we are managing to get it done. We lost about 10 account this season due to death, relocation, and just looking for someone cheaper, but we have manage to add new accounts in areas I needed them. Here is a pick from some scalping and seeding....the before pic.....this was taken today......you can see the fence has taken a beating. Teaching guys how the ride the ZTR along fence lines. As you can see, the fence has been hit a few times. Just havent had time to replace, but will get to it this winter. But the lawn was cut at 1.5 inches....and I am going to see how well we do with keep the turf this low.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

work hours..

10 hours a day, 7 days a week.....
6 full time