Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dave, I'm afraid its time to hire someone so you can have a life outside of the lawn biz.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

me my brother and grass foreman are there between 7:00 and 7:15. everyone else 7:30 gone by 8:00 and back by 5:00
Old 10-09-2007, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
Only have 2 guys with prior experience, which for me was good because I was able to teach my other guys to do it the way I want it, and not have to worry about old habits. I dont think I would have survived this long if I hadnt start hiring. I was getting so swamped with work, that I could barely keep up. Getting help was the best thing I could have done. I went from coming home after dark just about everyday to getting home by 6 or 7. We train at my old home that we plan to finally sale sometime next spring. I was using it was my office, but we have surely out grown it. We practice and teach everything on this lawn, and a few of the neighbors who benefit from some of the things. But I have 2 Foremens, and 1 Operations Mgr. The other 5 guys are just worker bees. One of my foremen is a Seasoned brickmason, and his addition has been awesome. We currently have after picking up 6 accounts today 267. We are actually over booked for my 2 crews, but we are managing to get it done. We lost about 10 account this season due to death, relocation, and just looking for someone cheaper, but we have manage to add new accounts in areas I needed them. Here is a pick from some scalping and seeding....the before pic.....this was taken today......you can see the fence has taken a beating. Teaching guys how the ride the ZTR along fence lines. As you can see, the fence has been hit a few times. Just havent had time to replace, but will get to it this winter. But the lawn was cut at 1.5 inches....and I am going to see how well we do with keep the turf this low.
Wow, that's really an interesting story tj! Sound like u have a major opperation! I don't think there is any way I would have the time to organize all those accounts by myself so I woulda done the same thing.

So why are u seeing if u can keep it down to 1.5 inches? Are u practicing for golf course cutting?

Do u put your new hires in the back yards only at first, so they don't accidentally run a wb or z into a parked car or something?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fool32696 View Post
Dave, I'm afraid its time to hire someone so you can have a life outside of the lawn biz.
i have employees, .... it all equals out, i dont do anything in the winter unless it snows......if you dont out work the competition you loose the race...... that is why i have gained such a huge market share in 4 years......
6 full time
Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
Wow, that's really an interesting story tj! Sound like u have a major opperation! I don't think there is any way I would have the time to organize all those accounts by myself so I woulda done the same thing.

So why are u seeing if u can keep it down to 1.5 inches? Are u practicing for golf course cutting?

Do u put your new hires in the back yards only at first, so they don't accidentally run a wb or z into a parked car or something?
No one touches a mower until I personally feel they are ready. Well maybe the 21in push, but nothing else. Between this lawn, and 3 others neighbors that benefit from this, there is a lot of practice time put in. I found personally that the ZTR has way more power then the WB's, and take a little more time to really learn. Its a slow process but nesscary

As for the lawn being 1.5....Have just noticed that with Bermuda Grass our primary lawn type here in Atlanta, the lawns are a lot thicker and greener being cut that low. Also, during the season a few lawns suffered from drought stress, but bounced right back with just a little rain or water. Plus its make the clean up easier and quicker. I am slowly but surely trying to get all resposibility off my back and onto others so I can start enjoying being the boss. Keeping track of everything becomes a balancing act, but I was a Center manager for Bellsouth for a few years and what I learned there is priceless now.

Last edited by tjsquickcuts; 10-09-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Ya we've been putting in about 30-35 hours a week as of right now. I hope things will pick up as we just finished advertising all of our fall flowers. We hope to get a bunch of phone calls for that. Just hope things stay steady.

"Work Smarter, not Harder"
Old 10-11-2007, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=tjsquickcuts;1990999]No one touches a mower until I personally feel they are ready. QUOTE]

I hear u. Heh, TJ, I really appreciate your story and details of it all. Thanks a bunch
Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

I work about 25 hrs per week. It's all I need, and then some with what I charge.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=green-pa;1992438]
Quote:
No one touches a mower until I personally feel they are ready. QUOTE]

I hear u. Heh, TJ, I really appreciate your story and details of it all. Thanks a bunch
Thats what this site is all about....

Southern Sig, we just finished up our Fall marketing blitz too. We pushed out about 10k flyers and have already gotten a few calls. I was actually working in the field today to free up a few of my guys to help with some of the planting today, plus it gave me a chance to evaluate this new guys who SUCK DONKEY B@LLS....Man I have never seen a guy so slow. First of all, he came in today with black sweat pants(which is a major no no) and he didnt have on the company shirt. Sorta pissed me off, but I was having a good day so I pulled him aside, told him what he needed to know, and we were all off. Get on site....22 homes in one neighborhood....usually takes 3 guys about 6 hrs at max, and 2 guys about 8 slow poking...Okay, I give him a little coaching about how we would knock this out when we first pulled up this morning. I promise you guys I was done cutting 7 of the lawns before he had finish line edging the homes. He missed spots, and at one point I thought the world had started moving in slow motion. I ended up doing all the cutting, some of the edging, and just about all the trimming...only thing he really did was use the blower, and did a poor job with that. This was a new guy my foreman hired, and when I got back to the shop I busted my foremans chops, and told him to make sure that guy never steps foot back on my property ever again. It still only took about 8 hrs, but I spent 8 hrs out of my day watching this guy move slower then dead turtle. And boy is my body hurting.....I havent did any mtce work in a few months, and this wore me out today....Just woke up from some much needed sleep....
Old 12-26-2007, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Only have 2 guys with prior experience, which for me was good because I was able to teach my other guys to do it the way I want it, and not have to worry about old habits. I dont think I would have survived this long if I hadnt start hiring. I was getting so swamped with work, that I could barely keep up. Getting help was the best thing I could have done. I went from coming home after dark just about everyday to getting home by 6 or 7. We train at my old home that we plan to finally sale sometime next spring. I was using it was my office, but we have surely out grown it. We practice and teach everything on this lawn, and a few of the neighbors who benefit from some of the things. But I have 2 Foremens, and 1 Operations Mgr. The other 5 guys are just worker bees. One of my foremen is a Seasoned brickmason, and his addition has been awesome. We currently have after picking up 6 accounts today 267. We are actually over booked for my 2 crews, but we are managing to get it done. We lost about 10 account this season due to death, relocation, and just looking for someone cheaper, but we have manage to add new accounts in areas I needed them. Here is a pick from some scalping and seeding....the before pic.....this was taken today......you can see the fence has taken a beating. Teaching guys how the ride the ZTR along fence lines. As you can see, the fence has been hit a few times. Just havent had time to replace, but will get to it this winter. But the lawn was cut at 1.5 inches....and I am going to see how well we do with keep the turf this low.
These photo are from today. Just got a new camera for christmas, and we just trying it out while checking on this at the barnyard.....we have been in this serious drought, but we have managed to keep the lawns we seeded with Rye nice green and thick. I will post more, but just wanted to post these to show the progress of the lawn. Now if we can just have the fence fixed by the weekend we will be ready to sale.
Attached Images