Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2001, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Growth In a small town....

Well I know that growing your buisness is something we all handle, however I feel that a point has been reched in the small town I live in. The are I am in is surronded by several other towns of the same size or a bit smaller all within about 20 miles, north, south, east west. Would it be crazy to expand into the adjoining towns for growth? Granted several of the national accounts that are handleded now are also in the adjoining towns so this creates the possiabilty of s handling those also. Please note tiis is for strictly commercial lawn mowing. Thanks eggy...
Old 09-23-2001, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I say.....

If you weigh in your options and thats the only way that you want to see your business grow, then do what you got to do!! Just consider the new gas expense, more travel time (down time for laborors), etc into your pricing outside of your area.
Old 09-24-2001, 03:18 PM
Banned

You say that you live in a small town. Is this in reference to population, or in terms of the physical size of the town? One thing I can say is this; target the neighboring towns carefully. Over by me, if you go in one direction there is less money as you keep going (lots are smaller / income is usually less) Now if you go the opposite way, you will come to one of the richest areas in the country, (big lots / bigger pockets) Just something to think about.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same position, eggy.

Theres a town 30 minutes north of here 3 times as big, and has new construction like crazy. Next season I'm thinking of pushing toward some commercial sites there.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 10-08-2001, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drive around in those towns and see which ones have the "wide passes and stripes" in the lawn. Sure to be a LCO in there. Pick ONE town for next year and blitz it with flyers this winter. Drive time will kill profits if you go to 3 towns. Focus on yours and one other that seems to have good potential. GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-09-2001, 05:53 PM

How about?

Hello:

Can you justify the travel time? Driving total of 40 miles both ways, sounds like a Hour of extra Driving. So add 1 extra hour per man per day & the losses add up quick. You would have to charge double for your first hours work to break even. Just Look a Little harder at what you are doing?

Even harder on you if it takes you a while to build up a days work & if you have a break down or have to go back home.

Consider trying to get more accounts where you are at & also look at add ons for your business.

Look at other things you can do to make money without loosing 1 hour per man per trip.

Get the right add ons & incorperate them into your already established business. Figure ways to cut your expenses & Increase your profits.

Look around I bet you can find other Venues for making Mo Money. Without spending a arm & a Leg?
Old 10-16-2001, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are in a small town like me you have no competition to speak of. Chances are people in surrounding towns are in the same situation. There may not be anyone doing it there either. If customers have no one to call chances are they are willing to pay you for your time in getting there. I live in a town of only 2,600 people but my business is available to 250,000 people with in less than 1 hr. We just constructed a huge retail outlet here and now people are driving from miles around to see us. Anything can work if you put enough time and effort into it.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Rodney,
The way that I would deal with your situation is to up sell your existing clients. Sure, mowing grass is the easiest part of this business, but it is not necessarily the most profitable part. What services do you provide? What services do you provide that your existing regular customers are not using? Do you look around the properties as you are mowing and make notes of possible services that you could suggest to the clients? I must confess, I prefer to just mow, but I have forced myself to up sell. The possibilities of extra money from add on services and diversity in your professional cache make you all that more valuable to the clients you already have.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do upsell a lot, however I guess what i am looking to do as in my first buisness plan, is to basicly become known in several areas and if possiable start a small local "chain of lawn care venues". Such as a small grocery store with several stores. As of know the idea to get started and hold labor down is to hire one person in each of two towns to meet up with me , eliminating driving time....just a crazy thought.....
Old 10-30-2001, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Eggy

Is Greensburg the next biggest town next to you? I can't find my map. Is not Scymore The home of John Dilliners(sp) or some other famous crook? I lived in Greensburg for a year in the middle 60's and I am sure it has grown but understand why you need to travel. Beautiful country I like that area.

Ric