Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2007, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

good client or what

just wanted to let everyone hear this. i got a call today from a lady that needs lawn service , i go look at the job ( 100x100 ) or close anyways, grass was kinda getting tall , i tell the lady i'll do the job for 45 dollars the first time , because the grass is tall and needs to be worked, i tell her that after that if i mow every two weeks it will be 35 dollars per mow .

lady gets a funny look ( i'm thinking she thinks thats to much ) , lady then says well thats cheap, i was thinking 60 dollars for the first time and 50 dollars every time after that , and i do want it cut every two weeks .

i then say ok , i dont want to cheat you , and she says again 60 dollars the first time , and i say and after that 45 dollars evferyother week , and she says deal and shakes my hand .

then she told me that she she was going to want me to clean the muskiedime vines of of her back fence but that would be a seperate issue, i told her that i could do that , but we needed to get her yard back in shap first .

then she said if your interested i also have trees that need trimmed and some small dirt work to be done also . i told her i would be glad to help her out .

sorry for the long post but this makes me feel good about starting a LCO business . karl
Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpetzold View Post
just wanted to let everyone hear this. i got a call today from a lady that needs lawn service , i go look at the job ( 100x100 ) or close anyways, grass was kinda getting tall , i tell the lady i'll do the job for 45 dollars the first time , because the grass is tall and needs to be worked, i tell her that after that if i mow every two weeks it will be 35 dollars per mow .

lady gets a funny look ( i'm thinking she thinks thats to much ) , lady then says well thats cheap, i was thinking 60 dollars for the first time and 50 dollars every time after that , and i do want it cut every two weeks .

i then say ok , i dont want to cheat you , and she says again 60 dollars the first time , and i say and after that 45 dollars evferyother week , and she says deal and shakes my hand .

then she told me that she she was going to want me to clean the muskiedime vines of of her back fence but that would be a seperate issue, i told her that i could do that , but we needed to get her yard back in shap first .

then she said if your interested i also have trees that need trimmed and some small dirt work to be done also . i told her i would be glad to help her out .

sorry for the long post but this makes me feel good about starting a LCO business . karl

Sounds like a nice one! Although I wonder why she wants to pay more than u offered which sounded more reasonable. Does shw have lots of trees or obstacles or something?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

that's cool dude when customers like that understand our prices so knowingly.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Member

green , she did have a few trees , but nothing that would have made me up the price as much as she did .

she did mention to me that she has already had two LCO and that they both dropped her , this made me wonder a little but i quess i will see . karl
Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpetzold View Post
green , she did have a few trees , but nothing that would have made me up the price as much as she did .

she did mention to me that she has already had two LCO and that they both dropped her , this made me wonder a little but i quess i will see . karl
Is is a bad neighborhood?

Is there a lotta trash and debres?

Any brown recluse or poisonous snakes?

Not trying to scare u but just keep your eyes and ears open. I have one guy who said he has a lotta poison ivy in his yard and has seem brown recluse spiders around. I haven't seen any and don't plan on looking for them. Just keep your gloves on and watch your step. It could be that she just likes u and had an attitude with them. Sometimes it's hard to figure out I guess.
But so far it sounds interesting.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take a lesson from this lady. She knows more about the pricing than you do. It won't be long before you get the hang of it but don't kill the market before you do. You should be at 2 bucks per minute drive up to pull away. Follow this simple rule and you will do well. Good luck .
Old 10-05-2007, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer56 View Post
Take a lesson from this lady. She knows more about the pricing than you do. It won't be long before you get the hang of it but don't kill the market before you do. You should be at 2 bucks per minute drive up to pull away. Follow this simple rule and you will do well. Good luck .
So you're telling him to charge a minimum of $120/hr in other words?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verant View Post
that's cool dude when customers like that understand our prices so knowingly.
verant, yeah i thought it was cool, kinda left me lookin for how to respond , i told her , i know you work hard for your money just like i do and i dont want to ripp you off. but i wasnt going to argu the point to much lol . karl
Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer56 View Post

racer , thanks for the reply , but in my area a good going price is about 25 to 35 dollars for 100x50 . my min is 30 , so i think it is close to ball park , 120hour sounds why high i would never get busi . thanks anyways . karl
Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
Is is a bad neighborhood?

Is there a lotta trash and debres?

Any brown recluse or poisonous snakes?

Not trying to scare u but just keep your eyes and ears open. I have one guy who said he has a lotta poison ivy in his yard and has seem brown recluse spiders around. I haven't seen any and don't plan on looking for them. Just keep your gloves on and watch your step. It could be that she just likes u and had an attitude with them. Sometimes it's hard to figure out I guess.
But so far it sounds interesting.
no trash and debris , theres a few trees , house , fence , ditches, but evfery yard here has ditches .my are is the south coast of texas ( swampy areas ) ,
she does have a spot in the back yard with standing water , she did tell me that her dog just got bit by a snake 2 days ago , i will be useing a riding mower in the tall grass, i could be wrong but brown reclus spiders a normaly in dark areas like in doors in cosets and things like that . lol, thanks for the concern dude . karl