Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2007, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpetzold View Post
no trash and debris , theres a few trees , house , fence , ditches, but evfery yard here has ditches .my are is the south coast of texas ( swampy areas ) ,
she does have a spot in the back yard with standing water , thanks for the concern dude . karl

Anytime kpetzoid! Just watch u don't splash that mud all over if it get's too bad u may want to use the trimmer on it. Hopefully it won't be to bad though.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man you might as well stay home. Don't beat yourselve up for that little bit of money. You have to charge that much I don't care where you are. Here is why... This is a list of stuff you will be doing for free.
Maint. on equipment
billing
advertising
bids
getting office supplies
getting equipment supplies
driving to and from the jobsites
and the list goes on and on.

Do this as a test. Next week keep track of every single second you do ANY work for the business. That includes picking something up at the store for the business or even just planning. At your prices your dollar per hour will be less than min. wage. If you will beat yourself to death for that money come on up I have a job for you that even pays better.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before I said 2/min. I should have asked what you will be using to do the work with. With the right equip. that is where you need to be.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer56 View Post
Before I said 2/min. I should have asked what you will be using to do the work with. With the right equip. that is where you need to be.
racer , all of my equip is paid for , i have a 46 " husky rider ( 23 ) hours on machine, trimmer , 22 " push , trailer , and 93 z71 , i am just getting started , this makes my second accaunt . but as time goes i will be upgradeing to commercial equip . i do thank you for your response , and i will keep all you said in mind , thanks karl .
Old 10-05-2007, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just do a good job and get paid what you agreed on, take it for what it's worth, and enjoy it while it lasts...
That's how I always look at those 'the last x Lco did abc + xyz" jobs.

Ain't nothing you can do beyond that, just hope it lasts forever, I've had customers like this last anywhere from 1-2 to 10-20 or more visits, you never know for sure but there is likely something wrong and maybe it's nothing... But I wouldn't worry about it one minute, the more you think about it the sooner you spot the problem, so I would go on out there with an open mind and do what you guys agree on and just let it be. Ain't nothing but a thing and it might not be a bad idea to play dumb, folks like these are usually far from the worst customers.

These are customers I wouldn't accept today, but out of all the crazy stuff that happens in the early stages, if I had to do it all over again I would pick exactly them kind to go another round, they're really not bad people... If anything I actually miss some of these folks, a good half the time I remember it used to make me sad to have to part ways, they're awrite.

A few can be something else, but most it's just some bs sooner or later you're like "Ohhh I get why the last lco couldnt deal with it" and even then it can drag on some more, a lot of times I remember I used to laugh about how it becomes obvious later, and what it is I missed... But like I said, more often than not it's far from the worst thing that could happen and the money is good while it lasts.

Peace out, you'll be fine.

Last edited by topsites; 10-05-2007 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Just get paid what you agreed on, take it for what it's worth and enjoy it while it lasts...
That's how I always look at those 'the last x Lco did abc + xyz" jobs.

Ain't nothing you can do beyond that, just hope it lasts more than 1 visit, I've had customers like this last anywhere from 1-2 to 10-20 or more visits, you never know for sure but there is likely something wrong and maybe it's nothing, but folks like these are usually far from the worst customers.

Some can be something else, but most it's just some bs sooner or later you're like "Ohhh I get why the last lco couldnt deal with it" and even then it can drag on some more, a lot of times I remember I used to laugh about how it becomes obvious later, and what it is I missed... But like I said, more often than not it's far from the worst thing that could happen and the money is good while it lasts.

I wouldn't worry about it one minute, the more you think about it the sooner you spot the problem, so I would go on out there with an open mind and do what you guys agree on and just let it be, ain't nothing but a thing and it might not be a bad idea to play dumb.

Peace out.
topsite , i really dont know why the other LCO's left but , like you said it is money , and also a chance for the nieghbors to see my work, i live in a HOA neighbrhood , and the lady works for our water dept , she seems to be a nice lady , but i could be wrong, i am going to take the work as long as i can stand it or she finds someone else . thanks , later karl .