Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2000, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Just thought I would post a little of what I have noticed here in the posts and what is beginning to take its toll on me a little. There has been an awful lot of whining and bickering in these forums of late. And for the most part very little is constructive. For at this moment in time it is when we all need a little encouragement, a little positive reinforcement. I am starting this year and I am about a month behind on getting things in order. Believe me it is starting to show. I am not getting the proper financing and the start time is right around the corner. This puts pressure on me and what tends to happen is we get a little ansy. This in turn leads to a perpetual volcano ready to erupt. The slightest thing can set it off. What helps me best is to try and think of all the positives and not dwell on the negative. Thus any unwanted advice or comments, even thoughts, I simply smile and look the other way. Right now I am in more of a pinch than I'd like to be but hey, the show must go on. Let's leave the bickering and whining to the fly by nighters and act like real professionals. If you have a beef, email them personally. Don't make this forum a wrestling ring.<br>Just a few of my thoughts. I hope everyone the best in the upcoming season. I've done a lot of research but now its time to cross my fingers and hope for the best.<br>Thanks,<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 02-24-2000, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 02-24-2000, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Amen Mattingly,<p>Hey maybe we need to bring a shrink into the forum to help us out in these situations. Ha, Ha, Ha. Seriously, I feel the same way. I've got repairs to be done, Equip. to buy, I'm waiting on replies from last years customers to see if their going to continue using my service. I definately feel the stress. I don't think I'm going to be 100% ready when it comes more like 60%. Most of my stuff is just going to have to be done over the course the season when the money comes in. Bad planning on my part. Sometimes it's hard to stay positive but if you dwell on the negs. to much it's going to put bad thoughts into your mind like, going back to to the office or plant. Yuk, scares me to even think about that. I sympathize with ya brother just hang in there it will work out.<p><p>
Old 02-24-2000, 01:27 PM

I think people are blowing off a little steam is a good idea. Stress need to be released somehow. This forum allows contractors to get the most out of that release by having an audience. Same reason people write to the editorial page in the paper. No one has to read their post if they are not interested. Running a seasonal business is highly stressfull. Most of don't have secretaries. If we don't do it doesn't get done. We are controlled by our customers and the weather and our equipment etc. Outside bariers control out success. Enemies on hear will probably be friends next week. You have to click on that post and obviously you do. Because you are curious to see whos at war this week
Old 02-24-2000, 02:03 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lee and others that might be under stress waiting for replies and don't use contracts. <p>I send out a questionaire in the late summer asking the customers if they want us to mow their lawn next year, aerate this fall, in the spring or both, and if they want me to continure doing their snow removal on their driveways. I ask them to fill it out and return it with their payment. This way I am not under stress during the winter wondering if I will have these lawns and this way I already know I have X amount of lawns to aerate. Once you start doing this, they expect the questionaire each year and it has worked great for us and it might work for you too. I feel this is the most stress free job ever and I sure don't want to see any of you guys under stress. <p>From what I understand, contracts can be broken with a 30 day notice, so are they that important to have? I have never used them and I also have never had them stop using our service during the season. I guess if you have a big company like some of you have, it would be a good way to have a record of what each customer wants and needs. I just use verbal agreements and then keep a record of it and so far I haven't had any problems. Anyway, this is something to consider, good or bad, it has worked for us.<p><br>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>
Old 02-24-2000, 02:34 PM

I am really not under stress either. I made enough money last year. But I just spent alot of the money on equipment and investments. Otherwise I would have spent most of february traveling. Like I usually do. I don't really want year around contracts. For me life is too short to spend all your time working. I mean we sacrifice the best time of the year(summer). I never have taken a vacation of more than a day at that time. I bust my butt then and look forward to 1-1/2 month off every year. Some years are not very stressful. But some years everything seems to go wrong or stuff need replaced or the home life is no picnic. Whatever. Just starting a business though for the new guys(1 through 3 years) can be very stressful. Until you build your customer base and get your equipment cost under control and build up your savings.