Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2007, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki Makes Good!

I purchased a used Hustler Z that was about 5 years old with only 500 hrs. on it. Not sure why it happened but it blew the seal on the crank bearing/bushing. After my mechanic tore into it he also noticed metal shavings in the oil. He called Kawasaki and explained to them what he found. They told him if I could get the original date of purchase that they would replace the engine with a new one. I thought is was a lost cause since the guy I bought it from had retired and moved. But the stickers were still in good shape and I was able to read them. So I called the place where I was hoping it was purchased from and gave them every serial number I could find. Within minutes they looked it up and gave me the date and the purchaser's name. Still I thought it was still a lost cause. I mean this machine is five years old. But what did I have to loose. My mechanic called Kawasaki with the info and they said I would have a brand new engine in 3-5 days. But they could not pay for the labor to have it put in. WOW no problem!!!! Labor was $48 per hour for 3 hours. Not bad. Kawasaki gets a big thumbs up from me!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a bit surprised, since you aren't the original owner!
Congrats!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess Im a little confused. Why did Kaw replace the engine? How long was the warranty for that comm engine for?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good will warranty because of the lower hours and engine only without labor.

It was the top crank bearing that failed (prematurely wore sloppy) that caused the seal to start leaking/blow.

I have replaced two Kawi's this season for that reason but not under the "Good will" warranty because of much higher hours.

You got lucky on this one !

BTW All Toro .....They only have a 2yr warranty.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyownboss2005 View Post
I purchased a used Hustler Z that was about 5 years old with only 500 hrs. on it.
It probably fell into a spec. range that was originally covered for an issue they had with metal production shavings falling into the spot were the seals were held (no I am not kidding this is what I was told by Kawi)

Kawi has done the good will replacement for a few of my customers. The customer remembers that kind of thing when it comes time to purchase a new mower.

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Doing a little research when I bought a used mower with a Kawasaki 19 on it, I found some technical bulletins and I believe there were some recalled engines because of sloppy crank tolerances or finishes. Tony

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.