Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Seed Question???

As many of you may know of the drought we are having here in North Carolina, I am looking for a grass that can grow in these kind of conditions it does not have to look the best. Looking for something for a large yard with NO irrigation.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Artificial turf looks damn good at the new high school stadium.

But seriously, I just saw the nightly news. Its terrible.

I lived in NC for 10 yrs and still have family in Raleigh. So I do care about your plight.

AEP burns coal for energy west of us in W.Va. Today they settled with the EPA for $1 Billion, and promised to upgrade their plants. Their particulate exhaust is a considerable contribution to our drought in MD. This particulate matter causes the clouds to hold more water, delaying the rain and shifting the rainfall further east over the Atlantic (and acid rain occurs.) Furthermore, it reduces sunlight reaching the earth, inhibiting surface water evaporation; hence less rain. Less sunlight (in the range of 10%, I believe) means less photosynthesis and less consumption of CO2 by plants, leading to more global warming. There is a small decrease by 30% of the extent global warming would have occurred in the absence of this shielding (ie., average global temps would have been .9 deg F higher if this particulate matter in the upper atmos did not act like sunscreen.) Net result on rainfall is a massive redistribution of historical rainfall patterns.

The same occurs because of Brazil & Western Europe and affects Africa's rainfall. This led to major droughts and famine in that region in the 1980's. The nomadic cattle herdsman never knew what hit them in sub-Saharan Africa. Thousands of years of migratory routes were abruptly change by the industrialization of Europe and Brazil. OTOH, India has had more monsoons & flooding.

Sorry for the diatribe, but we live in a smaller, more inter-related world than we have heretofore understood.

Last edited by avnorm; 10-09-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Too heaaavvvy for follow up?

I'm baiting a discussion