Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2000, 11:56 AM
Davis TLC Davis TLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Middle Tennessee, Walking Horse Capital of the World
Posts: 420
We are having a real bad problem with Japanese beetles this summer. They are currently eating up the roses and crepe myrtles. What do you suggest to control them? Are there any good systemic insecticides that could be used in the future to control them?<br>Thanks for your replies.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/dtlc/&quot;&gt;Rich@Davis Total Lawn Care&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2000, 02:30 PM
Guido Guido is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: North Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 2,085
Hey Rich, I know your looking for a pesticide, and I can't help ya out with that, but I've used a product called a beetle bag ( I think thats what its called) Its a green and white bag kind of contraption that you can hang from a tree or put on a small stand behind shrubs, etc, and the bag will literally fill up with beetles within days. It keeps them all in one area, and then it would be easier if you had to spray them. After we dumped about 6 bags from our yard, the rest got the hint and most took off.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2000, 04:12 PM
lawrence stone's Avatar
lawrence stone lawrence stone is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Posts: 2,079
Guido the problem with the pheramone (sp)<br>traps is the on catch about 10% of the beatles they attract to your homesite.<p>So where are the other 90%?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2000, 05:18 PM
thelawnguy thelawnguy is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Central CT
Posts: 2,412
by the time you see the beetles the damage is done. Best to eliminate them at the source (grub control).<p>I have been told that the traps attract far more beetles than the roses grapes etc would on their own, and only trap a small percentage of a much larger total (like stone says).<p>As a kid my Father used to send us out in the grape arbor with a coffee can with an inch of kerosene in the bottom, our job was to flick the beetles from the leaves into the can. Labor intensive but it did the job if you spent a hour a day at it. For a 7-year old it was fun watching the suckers try to swim their way out.<p>Bill
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2000, 05:56 PM
EDL EDL is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 110
Lawarence and Bill are right, that the traps in fact attract more beetles than if nothing was done, also the traps, trap the beetles that have already done the damage and are looking to mate. Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Page generated in 0.07563 seconds with 7 queries