Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2000, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

In my area we have mostly tall fescue. How high should I set my mower? I've seen anywhere from 2.5" to 3.5". I was going in the middle and cut it at 3". What do you think?
Old 02-23-2000, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Use the rule of thumb, never take off more than 1/3 of the height at one cutting. I &quot;top&quot; all of my lawns and rarely measure how tall it really is because I know there are benefits to leaving it tall. Cooler soil temps., shades the soil preventing weed growth, longer root system, stronger overall stand of turf. Books will give you recommended cutting heights and thats fine, but they tell me to mow bermuda at 1.0 to 1.5 inches!!! I don't think so, I'm not mowing twice a day at the golf course or baseball fields.<p> &quot;CUT IT HIGH AND LET IT LIE&quot;<p>HOMER
Old 02-23-2000, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ballard, I am in Virginia so I assume unless you are in the very south part of NC that we have very similar conditions. I always cut fescue at a higher setting than others. If you can cut it at least 3 1/2 inches and at 4&quot; if your customers don't complain. Some think they are being cheated and that you will have to come back every 3 days. But when they have the only green lawn in August your point will be proven.
Old 02-24-2000, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

The specified height for tall fescue is 1.5-3.0&quot;. I'm getting this from a book called Turfgrass Science and Managment.<br> I live in the pacific north west and I'm sorry if I left a customers(or for that matter any of my competition) left a clients lawn at 4&quot; I would not be working. I accept that this may be different in some of the transition areas (from warm to cold season grasses) but up here you would never be able to let that fly.<br> This is said in light of the fact that we are still able to water in the summer for two days of the week most years. I'm wondering what area's are you the people who are cutting at 4&quot; working.<br> Lance