Register free!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
AVOID ALUMINUM!!! Usually the corrosion starts right around the knucle or where there are any screws. Even from the factory the powder coat can have some imperfections that water always exploits. I know there are "SPACE and AERO GRADE" Aluminums out there but it all corrodes over time.
You know, if you are refferring to aluminum ground mounted fixtures I will agree with you, it is not the best. However....

I have had fantastic sucess with a variety of Aluminum fixtures from Nightscaping. Their Stylist, Mini Stylist, Guardian, and even my Signature INTEGRAliter in Aluminum have all performed very well here. I have been mounting Guardians and Mini-Stylists onto homes and boat houses (marine environments even!) for years and have never had one problem. The fixtures do not corrode and the powder coating has never failed.

I don't know what type of aluminum Nightscaping is using, but it does seem to stand up. I have seen aluminum fixtures from Snoc, Hadco, and others that are just a mess! Usually the powdercoat is first to fail and then the corrosion kicks in.

So, keep an open mind and don't discount looking at aluminum fixtures from manufacturers that will stand behind them.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris,

I'm no metalurgist, but I'm wondering if cast aluminum is an alloy, mixed with other metals which cause the problems. Or, maybe it's the acid in the soil? The marine environment may not be acidic like the soil is??

Good point, I just bought an aluminum tool box for my truck, will it corrode after driving around Hilton Head for a few years???

Have you ever seen a corroded aluminum baseball bat?

Aluminum foil never looks corroded. Aluminum pull tabs last for years in the soil (I find them with my metal detector).

I'll consult my Janet Moyer book for some light on this subject.

Crap, I ran out of beer.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That being said, what would be cheeper: A better grade of aluminum, or brass & copper? Interesting conversation......maybe one of these guys is a "metal nerd" and can give us some insight into this. Go get some beer, I'm going to make another pitcher of iced tea, maybe I can stay awake for a response.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

some of this lighting stuff is made of pot metal and goes south right away. Like anything I suppose there are different grades and qualities.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, whatever it is I'm sure there is some room for conversation. It's late, and I've got a bunch of work to do tomorrow so I am going to say good night.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Why is it that the rain gutters are made out of aluminum, yet you never see these all corroded and oxidizing. I just went outside to look at my gutters just to make sure, and they look like brand new. They have been there for 15 years! And what about towers for fishing boats? These are raw aluminum, not powder coated, and withstand being drenched with sea-spray day in and day out. What's up with that?
Are these not electro plated or something ?... Towers on fishing boats are mostly stainless are they not ? least all the ones i seen are stainless and fiberglass. I could be wrong here but i think there is a huge difference between pot metal cast alluminum and high purity alluminum and the plating matters.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been mounting Guardians and Mini-Stylists onto homes and boat houses (marine environments even!)

James, do you mean Ontario lakes & rivers or saltwater/coastal?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I have been mounting Guardians and Mini-Stylists onto homes and boat houses (marine environments even!)

James, do you mean Ontario lakes & rivers or saltwater/coastal?
I like all the screws you have to remove on those fixtures to change the bulb. Great engineering.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I dont care what kind of aluminum it is. If it is touching the dirt and is in direct contact with soil and moisture it will corrode at some point. If you take the aluminum bat or tool box and burry it it is going to corrode. Some manufacturers have found success in using aluminum becuase they will utilize a composite knuckle or base to help with keeping the aluminum from direct contact with the ground. Alum. lights in eaves and out of contact will have more success and will last much longer. It is just like glavanized pipe, above ground it lasts forever, burry it and SEE YA! Again, you may have had success with aluminum but nobody can argue that it is better than brass or copper, maybe cheaper and lasts "long enough" but definitly not better and it will never out live brass or copper. I am a bit biased becuase I only sell copper and brass (as well as composite and plastic) but we used to sell aluminum so I have been down that road. On top of that as a distributor of a lot of the major brands you all use I saw alum. lights from all of them that were corroded and ruined.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that brass and copper is better. No argument here.