Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

need help on "not your average renovation"

I need some advice on a job that I thought was going to be an aerate, seed, and fertilize project. The customer also has an area of approx. 2,000 square feet, that had some trees that were removed and the stumps ground out, but there is still a network of roots running across the surface. Fortunately, this area is depressed and sunken and can be filled in to match the rest of the yard contours. I figure about 75 to 80 yards of soil (average depth of 12 inches) should do it. This leads me to several questions. Should I use all topsoil so that I can seed right over it? Should I use some sort of fill dirt and then topsoil on top? Is it ok practice to cover up these old roots like I'm proposing or will they give me trouble later? This project is more than I normally get into, but I'm fully capable of doing the work. I'll be including the cost of a tractor with front end loader and box blade to the estimate. Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

75 to 80 yards of soil is a rather significant change to the grade on 2000 square feet. That might be okay, if it needs it, but there might be easier and equally effective ways.

Depending on the size of the surface roots, a 35ish HP tractor with a box blade (with rippers) might get the vast majority out in a few passes. If the roots won't give up to the box blade, a backhoe attachment may be necessary to wrap up the job. But, if the stump grinders did their job, I think the box blade will get it done.

Then you can amend with significantly less than 80 yards, regrade, seed and go.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

Yeah, that sound way out of whack. 7 or 8 yards maybe.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments. I think I've called for too much dirt myself. I used a dirt calculator for 2,000 sq ft at 12 inches and it called for 78 yards. But the sunken area is only 12" deep in the middle of the depression and flares out to only an inch at the edges. I think I need to cut it in half. I'm just not too experienced in calculating dirt.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, problem number 1 would be the stump grinding. Our company believes in a job done right, and we have a motto of "No Callbacks"

We remove all the roots. Reason why is, well, your experiencing it. Roots are nothing but a menace to everyone else, but for us, we can cut the furthest point, the nearest point, and maybe one or two in between, and rip it right out. I would say roots take up about 3% of our time. Not to bad all things considered.

My next thought. You saying 12 inches in depth, which Im guessing brings your grade even with its surroundings. If its near the house at all, be very careful, and make sure your pitching is correct, and wont effect drainage, or the neighbor
With 12", if youve got the right equipment, heck, fill the first 6"-8" with fill, and just skim coat the top about 4" of nice topsoil.

If you or the customer cares, just as an example up here in CT
$20 per yard for topsoil (average)
$6 per yard for fill (average)

Job would be (for 80 yards) $760 for fill, and a skim of topsoils, or, $1600 for straight topsoil....

If the customers ok with the quote, thats fine. But, if he/she is questioning cost, you may be able to get the job by proposing this idea.
Rayco RG1625A
Husky 455 Rancher, 355 Rancher Mod
Little Wonder 11hp Commercial

2008 Ski-Doo Rev XP 800R
2006 GSX-R 1000 9.76 @ 143mph
Old 10-12-2007, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlawnturf View Post
Thanks for the comments. I think I've called for too much dirt myself. I used a dirt calculator for 2,000 sq ft at 12 inches and it called for 78 yards. But the sunken area is only 12" deep in the middle of the depression and flares out to only an inch at the edges. I think I need to cut it in half. I'm just not too experienced in calculating dirt.
Just to help out for your calculations check out our calculator. It's makes things a little simpler.http://www.teamgreenll.com/mulchingcal.html
Old 10-12-2007, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Cliffside and Team-Green, thanks for the comments. Team-Green, I was looking at your site, just last night. Nice work. Cliffside, I wasn't involved with the stump grinding crew. I was called in afterward. The roots that I'm concerned about will lie about 6 to 8 inches under the newly seeded grade. Is that ok to leave them there or will they cause the grass to die off in a few years somehow? This project is away from the house and will cause any runoff to go to an existing swale. Pitch and drainage aren't a concern at this point. I was just worried about covering up those roots. Also my original estimate for soil was too high. As I've since explained, I think that I need about half of what I thought I needed. Also for Cliffside, just to let you know my first quote for soil was $1400 for 50 yards of fill and 25 yards of topsoil, delivered and dumped on location.(i Had asked for 75 yards total) I guess things are higher down here.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlawnturf View Post
Cliffside and Team-Green, thanks for the comments. Team-Green, I was looking at your site, just last night. Nice work. Cliffside, I wasn't involved with the stump grinding crew. I was called in afterward. The roots that I'm concerned about will lie about 6 to 8 inches under the newly seeded grade. Is that ok to leave them there or will they cause the grass to die off in a few years somehow? This project is away from the house and will cause any runoff to go to an existing swale. Pitch and drainage aren't a concern at this point. I was just worried about covering up those roots. Also my original estimate for soil was too high. As I've since explained, I think that I need about half of what I thought I needed. Also for Cliffside, just to let you know my first quote for soil was $1400 for 50 yards of fill and 25 yards of topsoil, delivered and dumped on location.(i Had asked for 75 yards total) I guess things are higher down here.
6" - 8" under surface? No sweat. Thats fine. Grass grows on anything. I just seeded my lawn, and alittle dirt fell on the street. Grass is growing like mad right on the blacktop. Im actually going to keep it going, and use it like a piece of turf in a dead spot.... hahahhahahahahahah
Rayco RG1625A
Husky 455 Rancher, 355 Rancher Mod
Little Wonder 11hp Commercial

2008 Ski-Doo Rev XP 800R
2006 GSX-R 1000 9.76 @ 143mph