Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco Sprayer Pressure problem

I got a used Lesco 200 gal. skid sprayer with a Hypro D30 pump recently. The pump doesn't build pressure unless I close the agitation valve. Then it's got all the pressure in the world. The pump has the regulator with the handle and 4 settings. I've tried all 4 settings, as well as turned the brass adjusting knob. It doesn't change the pressure until I close the agitator line. Do I need a new regulator? I just changed the diaphragms and valves today. It didn't help. They were pretty nasty, though. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachianarbo View Post
I got a used Lesco 200 gal. skid sprayer with a Hypro D30 pump recently. The pump doesn't build pressure unless I close the agitation valve. Then it's got all the pressure in the world. The pump has the regulator with the handle and 4 settings. I've tried all 4 settings, as well as turned the brass adjusting knob. It doesn't change the pressure until I close the agitator line. Do I need a new regulator? I just changed the diaphragms and valves today. It didn't help. They were pretty nasty, though. Thanks for any help.
I always thought that you where supposed to close the agitation valve ?
I don't use them, just fix them and when ever I worked on and tested them I always closed the valve. Give your Lesco dealer a call and see what he says, I know I will tomorrow

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Closing the valve seems to fix the problem, but then the tank contents aren't agitating. Is that right? Sprayers I have used in the past agitate while they are spraying, but I don't know...
Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Closing the valve seems to fix the problem, but then the tank contents aren't agitating. Is that right? Sprayers I have used in the past agitate while they are spraying, but I don't know...
Back in the day when I worked for a LCO, he had a Myers 200gal sprayer that had a agitator that was run by a belt off the engine. In all the years I've worked on Lesco sprayers, I never thought of doing it any other way.
But I will call my buddy over at Lesco tomorrow just to see if I've been doing it the wrong way.......So far, no one has ever come back and said

HEY, IT AIN'T WORKING RIGHT

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 10-11-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The unit needs to have some agitation, since this style unit has no paddle agitator. If you open the agitation valve all the way you will not build any pressure(it will all be sent to the tank for agitation) so you need to find a half way point, meaning it needs to be open but not all the way and also it should not be closed all the way(no agitation). I usually set them about half way open and set the regulator to #3 in the saddle this should generate around 200psi with the wand or spray gun in the off position(not spraying).

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You have something hooked up wrong. The ones I have worked on agitate when the agitation is open but have little is any pressure at the nozzle. The you close the agitation valve and you have pressure at the nozzle at the level you have the regulator set for but when you let go of the trigger on the nozzle it goes into agitation mode. Works just like a pressure washer going into recycle mode when the unloader value trips. If you have the regulator set low then you will get both pressure at the nozzle and agitation because the pump is making more pressure than you are using and it has to go some where. If you have the pressure set high then you get more at the nozzle and less agitation. You make be getting more agitation than you think. That extra pressure (up to 1000 PSI) has to go some where. I have only worked a a dozen or so some maybe some one else can be of more help.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I talked to Lesco tech help today. They recommend an 80/20 split between hose and agitator. You get medium high pressure and some agitation. It works well. He said you could shut the agitator completely off and get max pressure, and agitation will occur when the relief valve pops when you close the gun. I guess the sprayer works right, it just needed a competent operator! Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I talked to Lesco tech help today. They recommend an 80/20 split between hose and agitator. You get medium high pressure and some agitation. It works well. He said you could shut the agitator completely off and get max pressure, and agitation will occur when the relief valve pops when you close the gun. I guess the sprayer works right, it just needed a competent operator! Thanks for all the help.
Yep, thats more or less what my buddy at Lesco was telling me, also talked with one of the applicators in the complex here. He said if you are mixing a dry mix, you should do the 80/20 full time to keep the mix mixed, but once you have a wet mix mixed, there is no need to keep it agitated unless you are going to be a day or more.

RTFM What a concept