Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Used may be the key word. I've herd many that used it, and say it's still a great product, but it needs to be heated. It seems, by the posts I have read, that it is out-lawed in many states. Just stuff to check out.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most upgraded...

to a better tank...and still used the trash pump system.

But yes, I think I PM'd w/ 3 people and 2 had upgraded and got a bigger and better system once their business grew. But one guy had a smaller metal tank you had to aggitate yourself (w/ like a drill and paddle), and one guy had used like a 200 gallon tank w/ hand aggitation attached to it.

All the guys on propavement bashed them....then you go to the used equipment section and the guys are selling old, pump systems, hand aggitation tanks, etc.. But if you ask what it takes to get in the business, they preach that you have to start out w/ 10grand.

Every once in a while someone will jump in and just say buy in bulk and hand spread small residential drives, which costs nothing, and forget a spray system until you grow.

I have a 600ft driveway that was estimated at 900 to sealcoat last year. So I'm going to try the trash pump system. I'll probably build it from Tractor Supply and get a round 125 gallon tank. If I can get my 4 neighbors to hire me, I can make 3x what I spent in a weekend....and if the thing really isn't worth a crap, at least I'll break even from doing my driveway.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

You have to look around. Check craigs list for used tanks. If you are just starting out buy a hand aggitated tank for residential drives. Graduate up and add hydrolics to it and then a spray. I began with a used 550 on a trailer I found in the back of a trailer shop and built up from there. I never spray residential. Just my preference. I have alot of 200+ unit condos that I spray, and miles of roads for gated communities. And the only reason I spray them, is because it takes too long to do with a brush. And, the residents want them open quickly.....
Old 07-25-2008, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

not so bad

when i got into the biz they helped me a lot ton of advice his ak2400 unit was great
his sealer was good but i get it a lot cheeper from my supplyer
but all in all they were great the equitment works great and he is always there to help. i have since moved on to a sealmaster unit but would still consider buying from them the MA10 is priced right last time i looked 1000 not a bad deal shipped to your door
Old 04-14-2009, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer123 View Post
I have been going back on the dates of the posting , just wondering why so many people are harsh on Asphalt Kingdom was thinking of doing business with them. Can some one give me the heads up -- or is this just preference.

********-- Does any one out there operate their AK 2400 and how does it perform. Really would like to know the answer to this.
if you want to do good bussines, you got to be honest and nobody will say the opposite. its simple.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

my story

I know this is an old post, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.

I delt with the AK guy, I made a specific order on the AK2200 system that I wanted to upgrade the motor to honda and the pump he said I could upgrade to CAT. Then he sent me the briggs motor and banjo pump. I called to get the order straightened out and he said he didn't even know what a CAT pump was and that the honda motor was on back order and he wanted to send me something rather than nothing, so he sent the briggs without asking.

Anyway, long story short we had a pretty heated discussion and he told me that I should be dealing with customer service and that his job on the deal was done. If I remember right he said "if your car broke down would you take it to the salesman" to which I replied "no, but if the salesman delivered the wrong bleeping car to me GD right I would take it to him". Finally, after several calls and getting bounced from the sales dept to customer service and back again, he did agree to take back the unit and refund my money, though he didn't want to pay for the shipping or the extra he charged me for border fees for shipping it to Canada. I argued hard and he eventually seen things my way, but I did end up keeping the 275 gal of sealer he sent me and I noticed that it came directly from MS gregson's warehouse in Quebec Canada, so I assume that's who his supplier is for sealer and equipment. Then I thought it funny that he was charging me fee's to ship to Canada yet my order for the sealer and the equipment came from Quebec to Prince Edward Island, somehow I doubt there were any real border fees lol.

He's also pretty convincing and throw's alot of sales pitches at you, if I had a dollar for every time he told me he put himself through college with a briggs motor i'd have enough for a 12 pack for sure.

Anyway, I wouldn't deal with the guy again for all the tea in China, but that's just me. Next time I need to order sealer I'll just call MS Gregson directly and cut this guy out all together.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro121 View Post
the PM'd me from here and propavement.com. They couldn't post they use/used it because everyone would bash them. But it seems if you use gilsonite they work great. People bash gilsonite, but I've called a few sealcoaters in my area, Virginia....and about 1/2 use gilsonite, the others use the other type of sealant. So I'll probably go w/ gilsonite.

Anyway....the guy that used this system w/ sand mixed in his sealant....he replaced the 400 dollar pump every year.....but he made money and didn't mind replacing the pump every season. But that is the drawback.

v/r
Gary
Is that the website and discussion forum where all the self proclaimed "BIG SHOT PROFESSIONAL SEAL COATERS" wouldnt dare admit the majority of them first started out in business working out of barrels and back in the day wouldnt have know what sand was even if someone had thrown it in their eyes?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboy2008 View Post
is that the website and discussion forum where all the self proclaimed "big shot professional seal coaters" wouldnt dare admit the majority of them first started out in business working out of barrels and back in the day wouldnt have know what sand was even if someone had thrown it in their eyes?
lol.........
Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

bought 110 sprayer and crack filler
this is a good company to start with
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Northern tool sells a starter 225 gal rig for a couple of thousand. honda 5hp and banjo pump. I have been sealing with it for two seasons now - works great.