Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2000, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what do you think chemicals are made out of hummus. I highly doubt it. I live close to a lake and many people know why we still have green stuff that floats in our lake. I would apply fertilizer but i would not try to get the whole market to use it because i feel it is a man made product to synthetically alter a natural thing and the long term affect is destructive to the environment. <br>
Old 02-23-2000, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

chemlawn is lik many other large corps. in this country trying to put the small guy out. in many large metro areas they are buying out all the lawn maint. companies they can get their hands on as far as they are great I've made lawns look just as great or better using an organic program with less weed problems and poisining the earth just my opinion ( doing things the natural way) people use them because of their advertisement and then find out it was a mistake ond go back to the real guys in the market that know what they are doing organic or synthetic.<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 02-23-2000, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill - I don't think there is any special angle you are missing. Like others have mentioned, I think the Chemlawn and other similar types are not actually figuring out the job costs when selling. They consistently end up with high employee turnover and ultimately lose out. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, just keep steady on your price and product use. We did that and snagged back way more square feet than they ever took from us. In fact we ended up getting lawn maintenance bids on several acre properties that they screwed up.<p>In addition, I know one of the guys who direct sells chemicals from Lesco to Chemlawn. They (Lesco) have purchased several fertilizer plants around the country and do cater to Chemlawn. The same products I used to buy from local plants before Lesco took over now would cost me more to buy at high volume pricing levels. I have since found other sources. For instance, I have the same 24-5-11 (SCU, Iron, and Micros) product with my own label. The price starts out at 13.75 per bag and goes down with quantity purchases. I uses tons of it every year and don't lose money. If you switch to cheaper products you might lose out on consistency in an effort to compete with them. Its not worth the hassle. They will end up getting the fertilizer for a lower price, but they are taking trailer loads of it. How often do you think they calibrate or check the amount of product actually used on a lawn?<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 02-23-2000, 07:38 PM
jeffclc

One thing that I have noticed with ChemLawn is the lasc of consistency. I have some customers that have ChemLawn service the lawn, and the grass looks great, and others that look pretty bad. <p>Now, I don't know if I am comparing apples to apples, one may be on a better program than the others. <p>Has anyone else noticed a lack of consistency with ChemLAwn?
Old 02-23-2000, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

i noticed it last summer.i had one customer who kept sharing the info that they where giving him with me, they kept telling him to tell me to mow high..well i never mowed under 2 1/2 inches..it was like they wrote something down just for the fact of writing it. that's why i decided to go after a peice of their pie.i heard many complaints about them ..most of them where about telemarketing calls.<br>
Old 02-23-2000, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

jeff,<br>The problem with inconsistant results is that Chemlawn doesn't treat each lawn differently. Because of all differing factors like soil, grass species, watering/drainage and mowing, etc. every lawn has different needs.<p>A trained/experienced applicator (something Chemlawn has very few of) can pick-up visual cues on what a lawn needs and adjust for them. <p>Furthermore if a lawn ins't responding properly to a treament, an experienced applicator will figure it out and do something about it. <p>A Chemlawn applicator (with their 1.3 years average experience) is really only interested in meeting their weekly income production target and getting their college tuition paid.
Old 02-23-2000, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer the original post:<p>1.) Chemlawn is TruGreen-Chemlawn, division of ServiceMaster, Inc. Some original Chemlawn branches are still run as Chemlawn (No TruGreen brand name) A FEW (very few) Chemlawn branches (mostly in FLA, I think) were franchised and are independatly owned.<p>2.) They generally price based on neighborhood. Almost never will they actually measure. If you customer has a larger lawn than most in that area, the telemarketer will most always be low on the quote.