Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2007, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

snow removal

I am sure most of you know this has been a crappy year. Here in Indiana we have been in a drought most of the summer. Mowing season is about over and I am thinking about snow on driveways.

I have put my money into advertising and mowing equipment. I have picked up nearly 40 weekly accounts and almost 30 on call customers. Well… most of the weekly mows turned into bi-weeklies because of the drought. The way I see it I have nearly 70 customers that already know my work. I do not want to buy a snow blower until I know that I have some work for it.

I would like to send out a letter to my customers about snow removal. I was thinking about telling them that I do not have a snow blower but depending on response I would buy one. I would like to give them a price on the letter so they will know what to expect but I have no idea how to price it.

How do I price snow removal and is it a good idea to ask without owning one. Is there really enough money into it to justify buying one? I am already in dept from this summer. Buying a snow blower will have to go on the credit card.

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 10-14-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check out plowsite.com .....but i wont touch a driveway for under $35 i do have one that is $75 i also have a plow
echo trimmers
red max back pack blower
sthil chain saws

My Page:
[url]http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258151[/]

...love what you do, do what you love, life is good...
Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerLawn View Post
I am sure most of you know this has been a crappy year. Here in Indiana we have been in a drought most of the summer. Mowing season is about over and I am thinking about snow on driveways.

I have put my money into advertising and mowing equipment. I have picked up nearly 40 weekly accounts and almost 30 on call customers. Well… most of the weekly mows turned into bi-weeklies because of the drought. The way I see it I have nearly 70 customers that already know my work. I do not want to buy a snow blower until I know that I have some work for it.

I would like to send out a letter to my customers about snow removal. I was thinking about telling them that I do not have a snow blower but depending on response I would buy one. I would like to give them a price on the letter so they will know what to expect but I have no idea how to price it.

How do I price snow removal and is it a good idea to ask without owning one. Is there really enough money into it to justify buying one? I am already in dept from this summer. Buying a snow blower will have to go on the credit card.
That is quite the situation. You need more work and snow removal is coming. I'm not sure how much it snows where you are?

I wouldn't mention that you don't have a snow blower. It will be a negative as most people know it's not that much to buy.

Plowsite may be your best bet.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Seasonal rates are the way to go. Try to figure out what the going rate is in your area. Get other companies to quote your (or a friend or relatives) driveway. With those numbers in mind you will know how many contracts you need to justify buying a machine. Bill your clients upfront and you won't have any cash problems. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the help and ideas

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

make sure to word your contract correctly, snow removal implies you will be removing the snow and taking it with you. i am not trying to be a smart arse but i dont want you to get burned by a PO'ed customer. you need to word it snow plowing.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, you can always start with a shovel.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could put word out to a few local snow plow guys, too. I know I'd seriously consider having you clear a few apartment complex sidewalks I do, if you were in town. Some contracts just cant be bid without doing the sidewalks, and its getting so more and more I dont wanna get out of the truck to do it. I'm sure theres some guys in your town that feel the same way.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Im from Indy and I know last year we had alot of people that wanted us to do their sidewalks with a snowblower but we just dont have the time to do both. We have a few that only want a snowblower on their driveway because its custom stone and they dont want a heavy blade on it.The work is definetly out there. There are even a few companys i know of that hire u as a subcontractor and send you off with the list. Its pretty good pay!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a quad with a plow and a snow blower I plan on sending a letter to a few of my lawn customers to try and get some work this winter.
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds