Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

legal bussiness

This is a dumb question especially now that summer is over. I have seen many places about a tax id number. I have searched the site but all I find is post talking about they have one. I have registered my name, got insurance, but in this state you do not need a business license to cut grass. Here is my question, now that I mowed all summer long is there something I am missing? I think I am legal? Do I have to have a tax id number? I have been using my social #? I know this is kind of late to ask but I have been seeing several post talking about tax id lately.

by the way... topsite, thanks for all your post... i have gotten alot of info off you, thanks again. well if you see this lol.

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerLawn View Post
This is a dumb question especially now that summer is over. I have seen many places about a tax id number. I have searched the site but all I find is post talking about they have one. I have registered my name, got insurance, but in this state you do not need a business license to cut grass. Here is my question, now that I mowed all summer long is there something I am missing? I think I am legal? Do I have to have a tax id number? I have been using my social #? I know this is kind of late to ask but I have been seeing several post talking about tax id lately.

by the way... topsite, thanks for all your post... i have gotten alot of info off you, thanks again. well if you see this lol.
Your "tax ID#" is known as your FEIN or Federal Employee Identification Number, which is used in filing taxes for your business. If you had a business registered with your Secretary of State and paid the appropriate filing fees you would have received a letter in the mail containing your FEIN or you can call your Sec. of State.

If you are a sole proprietor you will be filing your business taxes as a supplementary income under your SS#.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

??? i never got a letter about that?? i went to the court house, paid i think 15 dollars, waited about 10 minutes and she came back with a paper for me to sign. about 2 weeks later i got a copy of what i signed in the mail. nothing more? can i not keep useing my social number? i am a more or less a solo.

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what type of busines are you registered as..

at the state level, not local, you are registed locally, you must file a dba sith the state..... all states are a little different... go to your states web site

you must be a sole proprioter with a dba, not incorporated, in this case you just use your soc number
6 full time
Old 10-16-2007, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, you are simply registered in your town, which will not give you a federal tax number. You must register through the state (or someone else can and send you a letter to "cease and desist" the use of your name). Ohio has a $125.00 filing fee and $250 if you want it expedited. Check out your Secretary of State's site for more info on incorporation:

http://www.in.gov/sos/business/

If you've never been to this site, you may want to bookmark it.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In my state, as long as you don't have employees, and are a sole prop, you just use your social. I doubt your state will let you run any kind of business without a licence, the person who gave you this information was probrably thinking of a professional license (like you would need for contracting, cutting hair, plumbing, ect, to show competence in your line of work).

I would double check
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Every state is different. In NC there is a business center to call and they will step you through everything that is required for a new business. If you are a one man shop like myself. For NC here is what they told me.....
1) Check city for business license in my case none required
2) Assumed name for business must be filed in all counties that you will be working in.
3) No State license required but must file a form to associate my ssn with my business name. They got to get their taxes.
4) go to IRS.gov to get the form to register with the IRS.

Beside insurance and pesticide license for the state you would be set in NC. I spray roundup and found that I need license. Working on that piece!