Register free!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old Zone Location?

I recently took over maintenance at a townhouse development that has two old irrigation wells. I replaced one 23 year old timer with a new ESP and started the process of tracking down all the zones, some haven't worked for years. I have 3 zones in particular that I need help with. When I turn on the zone I can hear and feel water going through the pipes under my feet, but no water ever makes it to the surface. I was guessing that the supply line is filling up all the way to the valve and the valve is damaged or disconnected and not allowing the water to the heads... should I start searching for valves to check for problems there? Or does it sound like something else going on?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have a can of worms...I assume the water sound ends, right? With a system that old the solenoids (any" short" notices on the new clock?) and
diaphrams could be shot. With three zones down, I would be thinking a common wire has shorted, but given the age, the chance of all three going
down over the years is good. Do the pumps start & "deadhead". Any idea
where the valves are? Set of plans (hope against hope)? Gotsto find those
valves. I'd think there would be a contractor in your area with a wire locator. Hydraulics, power, vacation.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx315 View Post
I have 3 zones in particular that I need help with. When I turn on the zone I can hear and feel water going through the pipes under my feet, but no water ever makes it to the surface. I was guessing that the supply line is filling up all the way to the valve and the valve is damaged or disconnected and not allowing the water to the heads... should I start searching for valves to check for problems there? Or does it sound like something else going on?
Drip zones maybe? Very hard to tell by your description and not being on site. I'd recommend that you contact a good local irrigator that has 521 locator experience.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry about the description... there are 12 zones on this well total and only 3 of the zone are not working. I have tested the others and got all the busted pipes and heads marked with flags for repair, but these three don't spray at all. Mike the water sound does end, that's why I was thinking it was filling up to the valves and then stopping. I was planning on going by elimination to find where the zones were supposed to be spraying. They have no paperwork for the layout of the zones or any idea how it's supposed to work. So I took a Google map and started making my own with the zones that I have found so far. So I was thinking that if I find everything except those 3, then I could narrow down the location of the valve. I just wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction of thinking my problem was a valve (wiring or solenoid ect). thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Drip zones would be my guess. Or else valve not fully opening. Or tree roots choking pipes.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They have no paperwork for the layout of the zones or any idea how it's supposed to work. So I took a Google map and started making my own with the zones that I have found so far. So I was thinking that if I find everything except those 3, then I could narrow down the location of the valve. I just wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction of thinking my problem was a valve (wiring or solenoid ect). thanks
This is a valid technique. You may discover that all important areas are being watered and that changes may have been made and you have "dead" valves no longer supplying viable irrigation areas. There may have been changes made over the years that no one is aware of but the valves/wiring were left intact.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Sorry about the description... there are 12 zones on this well total and only 3 of the zone are not working. I have tested the others and got all the busted pipes and heads marked with flags for repair, but these three don't spray at all. Mike the water sound does end, that's why I was thinking it was filling up to the valves and then stopping. I was planning on going by elimination to find where the zones were supposed to be spraying. They have no paperwork for the layout of the zones or any idea how it's supposed to work. So I took a Google map and started making my own with the zones that I have found so far. So I was thinking that if I find everything except those 3, then I could narrow down the location of the valve. I just wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction of thinking my problem was a valve (wiring or solenoid ect). thanks
If it is a strong volume of water (not just a trickle flow), don't discount the chance that the water is leaking underground and filling up a cesspool or drywell.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't believe there's drip irrigation anywhere... We've crawled through every bed on the property during the cleanup and saw no drip lines. I don't think it's leaking underground because it has really good pressure and everything I've worked on has 1/2 lines, so when there's a leak it goes about 30 feet in the air. I'm betting on bad valves or dead zones. Thanks for all the help, you saved me alot of walking... this place is about 16 acres.