Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2000, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I am looking to offer some additional services to my customers this spring. I would appreciate any advice or input. Thinking of aeraration,powerraking, and topdressing. I am located in S.E. PA if that helps anyone. Thanks
Old 02-22-2000, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

We offer power raking, aeration, topdressing (usually after aeration) and slit seeding. The type of grass you have dictates whether or not you need to power rake. Blugrasses tend to thatch a lot more than others (that is the predominant species where I live). If the lawn doesn't have thatch and you are power raking, you open the lawn up for weeds, plus it stresses the turf. <p>If I were to offer only one it would be aeration. It is much less labor intensive than the others and I believe it has alot of benefit to turf.
Old 02-22-2000, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what is topdressing?
Old 02-22-2000, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Is aerating in the spring a good idea? Why do most do this in the fall here in minnesota?
Old 02-22-2000, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Crew, I'm from MN too and I haven't done any aerating yet but noticed it got done in the fall last year. I am going to try to push this service this year to go along with mowing. It looks to be a decent money maker. What part of MN are you from?<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com
Old 02-22-2000, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In northern climates, aeration of soils is accomplished to a degree by winter freeze/thaw cycles. Fall aeration is by far the best operation. You are loosening the soil for major underground growth time, and opening the soil to hold more water to enhance the winter process. Then the soil is well loosened for spring growth. <p>Spring aeration is usually just a revenue generator, unless you missed the aeration in the fall. There is benefit to it (if not done in fall), but much less than fall aeration. Qualifications:in heavy clay, some areas are aerated 4 times a year to keep grass growing well; above statements apply to cool season grasses, treatments in south may be different.<p>If you are trying to accomplish heavy thatch reduction, spring aeration is a plus. I once took over a lawn with 2-3/4&quot; of thatch buildup. Belonged to a widow whose husband had watered & fertilized way too much. Instead of a complete tearout, I tried aeration to correct problem. We aerated twice a year, making four passes at different angles each time. Since this had about 7-10% of the thatch now sitting on surface, we powerraked when dry a few days later to physically remove thatch. In four years the thatch was reduced to less than 1/2&quot;, and annual fall aerations of 2 passes each time maintained that balance.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 02-22-2000, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. Aeration seems to be a service more customers are aware of and interested in.
Old 02-23-2000, 08:52 PM
jeffclc

What about little extras that can be done mid summer? I seem to have more than I can handle in the spring, I am thinking of some services that can be done Mid Summer.
Old 02-23-2000, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have never seen anyone do aeration in florida, why is that, do any of you florida lawn companies do this?