Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2007, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

What would you charge to light this Tree?

I have a client who would like to light a tree that is approx. 35ft high and 15ft wide at the base, what would you charge for this tree? If possible, how did you arrive at your number.

I am new to this Holiday lighting and am trying to figure the best way to charge. We thought about renting the lights to our customers, but I see many people saying they charge a material cost, therefore the customer is purchasing the lights. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lighting any tree higher than 25 feet is very difficult. we use a painters pole that expands to 20 feet, and even with a 6 foot guy on a step ladder and pole it is difficult to put lights on the upper part of a 25 foot plus tree. most folks won't pay for a boom or bucket truck rental, so they would have to be happy without lights on the top.

wrapping the trunk and filling that tree with mini lights would take about 2500-3500 mini lights, so I woul dbe in the neighborhood of 550-800 dollars. that fee would drop slightly in year 2, but only by 100-150 dollars or so. It would take a man with a helper 1/2 day to do that project. frustrating work, hard on the shoulders and not the most profitable christmas light job for two guys for a half a day.

Christmas Decor specializes in trees, and they would charge about 1100 for the same tree and would wrap dozens of the branches, two guys for a full day. we do up and down all around method.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

David is pretty close here with his pricing. It kind of depends on your market what you could get. I wouldnt go near it without a bucket truck. I max out at about the 25' range that David mentioned off a 16' orchard ladder and a 10 foot painters pole. I also would not do that tree with mini lights c-9 all the way. It is too big to do with mini's. We do a 20 foot with minis and it takes 3000 lights but the customer wants each branch wrapped. It takes 3 guys 6-7 hours to do this one tree.

Price is based on the number of lights put in the tree and the cost of a small bucket truck for a couple of hours.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to sell starbursts 2ftx2ft @ 100apiece plus labor,
lift, and cords.
I think 10 would look awsome in that tree
Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree that 24" starbursts would be awesome, I'd put in 18" as well, but a 35 foot tree well lit with starbursts would be closer to 15-17 starbursts or more. pricewise at 85 per item average, you'd be around 1400 bucks or so.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

What are we talking about here? Canopy wrap, branch wrap, or trunk wrap?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

gonna do a job this year-- 4 trees@ 80ft tall- last year to start we had 24 starbursts total. Now we will probally double that.
Rent an 80ft lift to install and take down.
We are using LED.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
gonna do a job this year-- 4 trees@ 80ft tall- last year to start we had 24 starbursts total. Now we will probally double that.
Rent an 80ft lift to install and take down.
We are using LED.

Excuse my ignorance but what is starbursts?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

starburst- think of an asterisk like - * snowflake, 24" in diameter, rotated 360 degrees to form a 3-d shape. Holiday Bright Lights and Brite Ideas sell them. they are available in three sizes. 12 inch, 18 inch an 24 inch.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
starburst- think of an asterisk like - * snowflake, 24" in diameter, rotated 360 degrees to form a 3-d shape. Holiday Bright Lights and Brite Ideas sell them. they are available in three sizes. 12 inch, 18 inch an 24 inch.
I think they work if use sparingly!. ( I have seen them used too much) Kinda kill's the over all look when folk get carried away................!