Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2001, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Price for a 60 head system

What kind of a price am I looking at to do an install of a 60 head system. All Nelson gear drive.

BTW this will be done to 10 houses for the same person. All about the same amount of heads plus or minus 2.

Next what would it be to do for a 34 head system. This is my house.

I don't do to many installs. But I've done lots in the past working with a IRR. company, so I do know how to install. Just don't know the pricing.

LGF:blob1:
Old 09-27-2001, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Price the same way you would for lawn work, prod, prep & travel time+ prod equipment+ job materials+ business overhead + desired profit.

No way we can bid a construction project from afar.
Old 09-27-2001, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Harold put you in a good direction. As what I work at would be right for your area as each area, prices are different.

At least to see how you can find a number that you can use as a base price, talk to your local irrigation houses. They should be able to tell you what people are working at.

Good luck
John
Old 09-28-2001, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

irrigation houses

Here in NJ I wouldn't recommend that. Suppliers have been part of the problem, not the solution.
Old 09-28-2001, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gusbuster
Harold put you in a good direction. As what I work at would be right for your area as each area, prices are different.

At least to see how you can find a number that you can use as a base price, talk to your local irrigation houses. They should be able to tell you what people are working at.

Good luck
John
I made a mistake. In my second sentence, first paragraph, it should of said "As what I work at, wouldn't be right for your area as each area's prices are different.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to give you an idea of what I paid in CT for a similar system... 55 gear drive rotors (weathermatic) and 15 fixed (360 adjustable) with 11 zones... $3300. Not sure if that is was a good deal, but we are happy. I also think I could have gotten it for less, but as a salesman I do look out for my own kind and try not to beat everyone to death for a deal. This company was not the low bidder, but I felt they offered a better design w/more coverage, plus they did it at the end of the week mid-season.

Based on what I could research on the web, material accounted for about 60% the balance was labor.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

trout

Did this person owe you big time. I mean did you save his life or keep him from going to prison. I know its full moon and folks are little titched, but this is wrong.

Today we started a 9 zone, 68 head system, 41 rotors and 27 sprays I sold for over $5,600 and that hurt my feelings.

Am I wrong to say that the "contractor" probably had 81 to 96 man hours in this job from the time his guys loaded the trucks to come to your house , do your work and return to their shop each day. Like 3 guys for 3 days minimum?

You can't make money in contracting if materials are 60% of sales. Thats about the only right number I see here. and I don't like it.

Whats wrong with this picture?
Old 10-04-2001, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

HBFOXJr...

I guess at least you made me feel good about my system and the price I paid. You are right about the man hours... they had a crew of 6-8 digging holes for heads, 2 plumbers and 2 working the pipe machine. All but 3 put in a good 8 hrs and the other 3 about 12 hrs. Had it done in 1 day. The only thing I can think of was that they had someone cancel an had a day open and wanted the work.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guys. I got some bids on one of the props last year.

#1 $6,000
#2 $6,000
#3 $7,200

I thought that, that was rather high, but I guess not.

Since the customer has 10 props to do, and at this time things are slowing down for Fall. I was thinking about installing them myself. I was thinking a slieght discount for 10 jobs from one customer.

I think I will try and sell them on $5,000 each, but I don't think We can do them all in 3 weeks, plus keep the mowing up.

Oh well, I will try and sell it, and see what happens.

LGF:blob1:

P.S. I was going to use Nelson, but I got talked into Hunter

Last edited by LAWNGODFATHER; 10-04-2001 at 06:46 PM.