Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would another Landscape companies sign on a lot you service bother you?

It bothers me...

A customer i picked up a 2 acre lawn account in a big development the end of August this year, now has contracted out a rather large patio and walkway being installed in his backyard.

The client never asked for a quotation and only has be service his weekly lawn cutting, no other jobs related.

This company comes in, they were there today while i cut the lawn, and installs a pretty big 4' sign outfront close to his mailbox, its the size of one of the larger "house for sale" realtor signs they hang up when trying to sell a high end home.

My gripe is that in no way shape or form can you see the patio from the roadway at any angle. People in this development will drive by, see my pristine manicured lawn thats taken me since August to bring under control, and theyre going to see this Landscape companies fancy sign sitting out front . Its the same as using my "work" even if its just a nicely cut lawn to advertise for their company.

I dont go sticking up my signs unless people driving by can see my work if theyre viewing my sign out front.

Its not my property and realistically i have no say in what goes and what doesn't but wouldn't this rub you the wrong way? A. because my client contracts a company thats over 30 miles away in jersey and B. because theyre advertising now on an account i service and will be doing their snow removal and fertilization/aeration next season?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ask them to take it down. Better yet, ask the homeowner, its his house.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you do patios? Do they do mowing?

Did you inform the customer of other services you provide?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guy where's your sign!!!!!!!!! You should at least have something letting people know you service that lawn. I have my signs out and it pays. Learn how to market yourself a little better.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If the patio cannot be seen from the street at any angle respectably ask the homeowner to remove the sign for proprietary reasons. and inform them you also do hard scape. The sign might be written in their work contract as a right to advertise while the work is performed so they might not be able to take it down.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshskis View Post
If the patio cannot be seen from the street at any angle respectably ask the homeowner to remove the sign for proprietary reasons. and inform them you also do hard scape. The sign might be written in their work contract as a right to advertise while the work is performed so they might not be able to take it down.
yeah im sure thats the case

And yes, i can do the work this company is doing, theyre actually a nursery/tree company and possibly it could just be because i didnt go to this customer and say hey, i can install patios and pavers.... Yet my trailer has a whole slew of available jobs... some of these customers are never home during the day to see it though :/
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairfreak98ss View Post
yeah im sure thats the case

And yes, i can do the work this company is doing, theyre actually a nursery/tree company and possibly it could just be because i didnt go to this customer and say hey, i can install patios and pavers.... Yet my trailer has a whole slew of available jobs... some of these customers are never home during the day to see it though :/
when you do your billing you can include a comprehensive list of services you provide to all your customers..

I like your trailer
Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll be there for a long time. They and their sign will not be.

Put the shoe on the other foot. If you were doing a patio at a house where someone else mows, would you not put the sign up while you are working the project?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Go get a couple signs of a little larger size made, and put yours on either side of their sign. (blocking their sign) Problem Solved. Deffinately ask the homeowner first, so when the pissing match starts they are aware.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post
You'll be there for a long time. They and their sign will not be.

Put the shoe on the other foot. If you were doing a patio at a house where someone else mows, would you not put the sign up while you are working the project?
GOOD POINT This is a good post I retract my eariler post and support this one. let it go ...........