Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in your same boots this season as well. I did a big install for a commercial building, put my sign out all of a sudden its missing. I was pissed then and there because this was by a very high traffic area. So I ask a guy at the place he says its inside, the guy who cut the grass took it out. So ive learned to bite my lip n say forget it. Well the people I did the work for hired some guy to do the maintenace for the property(after offering one month of free maintenance to them for having me do the install, its a non-profit org.) never heard from em. So this smokejob puts his sign in front of the place for about 4 months, so now hes been "taking credit" for the work I did. Whether he says he did the install when people call him or not, people still think its all his work and I got screwed. My work was in the front of the building where people could see it so I understand what your saying how the work is in the rear of the property.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have nothing to gripe about! If the project is not seen from the road i feel there is MORE OF A REASON to put up a sign!

If the homeowner did not know you did patios, thats your own fault. You should of gave him a brochure when you signed him up for lawn care.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, please don't take this as an arrogant statement because we started just like everyone else (with a truck, mower, and dream) and haven't made it real far from there, but the differences between lawn care and landscaping companies need to be clear, especially to us as representatives.

A Landscaping Contractor is not an LCO and visa-versa. If you advertise you company as a lawn care company then you cannot be offended that the public doesn't "assume" you are also a landscaper (and normally those guys are not). We offer both design/build and maintenance, but they are two totally separate divisions of our business and the only workers that perform both tasks are foreman (never general labor).

The point is this. If you really want to be a "Landscaper" you should be versed in plant identification and organic specifications, growth patterns, irrigation, grading, drainage, lighting, hardscaping, and like services. If you cannot chime off 100 deciduous plants without missing a beat and identify each then you should not be advertising that you are a "landscaper" because your specialties are in a maintenance industry, or a "Lawn Care Operator" (LCO).

To be quite frank, I wouldn't want you pruning a plant unless you could identify it and knew that plats particular needs. I am not saying you do not fit this description, but merely pointing out a major difference in two industries that are, so often, confused with each other.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

every so often when you send your bills out stick your business card in there that states everything you do. you'll be amazed at how many customers you have that don't even know what you do. I have "TREE WORK" in huge letters on the side of my truck and I have customers all the time "oh, you do tree work". I changed my name to landscaping from lawn care because it was too limiting.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haybaler View Post
every so often when you send your bills out stick your business card in there that states everything you do. you'll be amazed at how many customers you have that don't even know what you do. I have "TREE WORK" in huge letters on the side of my truck and I have customers all the time "oh, you do tree work". I changed my name to landscaping from lawn care because it was too limiting.
Thanks for the comment team grean.. i totally understand, mainly in NJ areas at least, most ALL landscape companies also have one, two or 10 lawn crews and eat up the lawns of the LCOs...A few years ago, i only planned to stick mainly to lawn care, the problem in this area is that, the Landscape companies come in, steal out your lawn account because you told the customer that they should call a landscape company locally to do work for them.

To make a long story short, Landscape companies eat up all the lawn accounts so in my mind and my area, LCOs and Landscape contracters are all in the same boat, no matter what you call your company.

And Haybaler... i understand what your saying too. My company is a lawn care company, and although i advertise for all landscape services, no one thinks anything of more than lawn cutting. If i was a landscape company though, i wouldnt get the initial calls for the lawn service in which most of my landscaping comes from my lawn account clients.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

unless you have two separate crews, i would concentrate on what pays your bills. cutting grass is a cut throat business b/c anyone can do it. If you want to make a living at it, you need to work on being effecient and just do that. If you want to be know for landscaping, make that your main focus and start stepping away from being a LCO. I am not commenting on your abilities, but most of the LCO's I see trying to do hardscapes screw up more than they do b/c that isn't their main business. stick to what you know and brush off the rest. And as far as the sign goes, don't sweat it. If I know homeowners, that big huge sign won't last long b4 the customer starts looking for it to come down. Get you a little sign and stick it in the shrubs. It will stay longer b/c it is not an eyesore.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There will be no whine before its time. Paul Masson 1909.

Stop whining and make the sign disappear. If another appears, make it go away too.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why should it bother you? As others have said, if you offer that service and the homeowner hired someone else thats your fault, not the other landscaper. Secondly, and maybe I'm underestimating the general public, if passing traffic sees a large sign in the front yard for a landscaping company doing work, I doubt very much they associate it with the lawn care. I don't know of any homeowner that would let their lco put a sign in the front yard just for mowing the grass.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L View Post
The point is this. If you really want to be a "Landscaper" you should be versed in plant identification and organic specifications, growth patterns, irrigation, grading, drainage, lighting, hardscaping, and like services. If you cannot chime off 100 deciduous plants without missing a beat and identify each then you should not be advertising that you are a "landscaper" because your specialties are in a maintenance industry, or a "Lawn Care Operator" (LCO).

To be quite frank, I wouldn't want you pruning a plant unless you could identify it and knew that plats particular needs. I am not saying you do not fit this description, but merely pointing out a major difference in two industries that are, so often, confused with each other.
According to Websters dictionary (9th Collegiate Dictionary):

landscape vb landscaped; landscaping vt (1914): to modify or ornament (a natural landscape) by altering the plant cover ~vi: to engage in landscape gardening --- landscaper n

I'm not taking offense but I am in disagreement (somewhat). I agree with some of what you have to say.

I consider myself a "landscaper" but admittingly cannot name 100 deciduous plants without missing a beat. Nor can I identify EVERYTHING in a landscape. However I can turn right now to my right at this desk and look up through a number of different books 100s of decidious plants. AND I can look up how to properly care for these plants. I can admit that I need help. The best place I find to do it is the local cooperative extension office...great resource btw.

Now if I just ASSummed and took the shears out and sheared the andromeda into some hedge because I can get the job done, get paid, and leave than yes I'm doing a disservice to the name "landscaper" and shouldn't be using the name. It can be compared to holding my pesticide license in both turf and ornamentals. Sometimes I can't deterimine on the spot what the problem is. I have to utilize other resources to identify the problem and THEN I can figure out how to solve the problem and what needs to be done (properly). Should I not hold a license because I can't identify the problem or insect right then and there?

My point is I don't feel that because I can't identify something or know how to properly care for that plant that I shouldn't advertise or call myself a "landscaper". I just think its down right silly to say something like that. Again, I'm not taking offense just disagreeing.

You are probally way more versed in plant identifcation and care than I am...which is great and that sells. However, I feel if I'm willing to learn and research and know where to get the information that I CAN call myself a "landscaper".

Looking forward to your comments
Old 11-07-2008, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

on all are stuff it says Dunlaps Lawncare for all your Lawn Maintance&Landscaping needs
craftsman 22 in with bagger
craftsman 42 in rider
BG55 Stihl Leaf Blower
Toro 21 Inch with Bagger
John Deere Z425 with mulch kit
john deer z425 54 in deck
BR600 Stihl Backpack
Stihl FS90 Trimmer With Brush cutter attatchment
Stihl FS-90Trimmer W/Edger attatchment
Stihl fs-90 Trimmer
crap load of hand tools
PA065297