Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

deck lights in gravel?

I have a customer who has concrete steps around his pool area, but doesn't like path lights, and does not want fixtures taking away from the really great look we have on his tropical plants along the pool perimeter (yes it's far enough from the pool).

Has anyone ever tried using deck lights in gravel borders? It would be a nice, low profile, glare-shielded way to hit some low watts on the vertical face of the concrete steps (the gravel area is adjacent to the concrete area).

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I put some BK Drivestars in gravel around a driveway last year. We used a 3 foot piece of bend-a-board wrapped in a semi-circle, placed the light with a stake threaded in the bottom to help hold it, then backfilled with pea-gravel. I'm not sure if this is similar to your current challenge, but it worked out real well for me.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I have a customer who has concrete steps around his pool area, but doesn't like path lights, and does not want fixtures taking away from the really great look we have on his tropical plants along the pool perimeter (yes it's far enough from the pool).

Has anyone ever tried using deck lights in gravel borders? It would be a nice, low profile, glare-shielded way to hit some low watts on the vertical face of the concrete steps (the gravel area is adjacent to the concrete area).

Thanks,

Mike
Photos would be helpful.

I've used a Vista produt in the past in this situation.

http://www.vistapro.com/Product.aspx...tID=1&typeID=2

I can't recommend it though, because despite accounting for drainage, the fixtures filled with water. In addition, when we went to re-lamp, the screws were frozen in place. Even an impact wrench didn't get the fixture open.

Vista replaced 7 fixtures under warranty, but it was still a hassle to have to reinstall only 3 years after the originals.

The next time I ran into a "no vertical pathlights allowed" situation I ended up pouring small concrete bases for brass Integraliters to sit in low groundcover next to a brick path. This was needed because there was a homeowner's basketball court adjacent. Stray balls were a problem.

I have to say that the brass Integraliter has been tested and certified as "basketball impact proof". I don't think another fixture can make the same claim.

http://www.vistapro.com/Product.aspx...tID=1&typeID=2
Old 10-22-2007, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Photos would be helpful.
The next time I ran into a "no vertical pathlights allowed" situation I ended up pouring small concrete bases for brass Integraliters to sit in low groundcover next to a brick path. This was needed because there was a homeowner's basketball court adjacent. Stray balls were a problem.

I have to say that the brass Integraliter has been tested and certified as "basketball impact proof". I don't think another fixture can make the same claim.
I was also going to recommend the NS INTEGRAliter in brass (GD-0402-BR) ordered with a 180 deg. or 270 deg. lens rather then the 360 deg. lens that comes standard. This would eliminate a view to the source but will still provide a nice low level wash of the ground and foliage.

As an aside, the Brass INTEGRAliter is also 'mooring proof' ! I witnessed a 26' sea ray tied off to three INTEGRAliters this summer... seems the 'captain' of the vessel thought they were dock cleats or something. The lights are fine, no damage at all.

Have a great day.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf integraliter_gd0402.pdf (421.5 KB, 15 views)

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 10-22-2007, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

seems the 'captain' of the vessel thought they were dock cleats or something LOL

I like the look of this and the selective degrees sounds perfect.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does the interior of this fixture have any type of reflector or chrome/white finish to "throw" the light out? If not, when the brass develops it's patina, is there a great loss of light output?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Does the interior of this fixture have any type of reflector or chrome/white finish to "throw" the light out? If not, when the brass develops it's patina, is there a great loss of light output?
The interior is of the Aluminum version is powdercoated white I know for sure... not sure about the Brass Version! ( I should know that.)

I would simply specify that the come white inside if you are concerned. I am always lowering the lamps to 10w on these because they are too bright up here in Dark Sky Land.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, the ones I got were white inside.

Sorry for posting the Vista link twice above. I meant to post this one, that goes to the brass version of the Integraliter. BTW, it has a lifetime warranty.:

http://www.nightscaping.com/pdfs/bra...a_gd0402br.pdf

Last edited by irrig8r; 10-22-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

HK Lighting has some real nice brass walk over and drive over in ground lights.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

SPJ makes one thats built well too... Im not a huge SPJ fan by any means after dealing with a failed downlight after 9 mo in service but thier in ground path seems rock solid.

Mike post a pic it will help alot. I like the idea of doing the seperate pour for the lights to be hidden off the path.. that gives me an excellent solution for a delima i been in