Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have installed a hundred or so on docks and they get soaked regularly.... I have yet to open one up and find any moisture inside the fixture. I havent had any trouble with the SJOW wire wicking moisture into the body of the fixture along the strings either.

This is great info, thanks!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
Just to put in something. I am installing some of those NS fixtures on a project right now and I think that they will work great.

I have installed some of the Evening Star paver lights on a project where the client insisted on having paver lights for her driveway. I placed about 36 of these lights at 10' intervals on each side of the driveway and I must say that it came out great. Between the driftwood color of the lens and the 4 watt light, it is not a glare issue at all. I did low volt it a little only giving it 10.9 volts. It outlines her driveway the way that she wanted and still goes very well in my lighting scheme.

Anyway, I just had to say something.
Paul,
regarding the driveway you did with Evening Star. How did you install the paver lights. Did you put them in before the driveway was poured? or did you drill holes into the driveway? I have a custom home I've been working on. The homeowner has mentioned they would like something to mark the driveway. This might be an option. The driveway is already poured. I would like to know if this could be posible. Do you have any pictures of the job? Thanks
~Ned
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ned, this is a paver driveway. I'm working on getting some photos.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 10-24-2007, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Evening Star or anyone else,
Would it be possible to install your paver lights in a stamped concrete driveway? How difficult is it to cut holes in concrete? how close to the edge of the concrete can I go if I was able to cut holes in the concrete. and would I be able to get wire to the cut hole if it is pretty close to the edge? Thanks
~Ned
Old 10-24-2007, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLightingFX View Post
Would it be possible to install your paver lights in a stamped concrete driveway? How difficult is it to cut holes in concrete? how close to the edge of the concrete can I go if I was able to cut holes in the concrete. and would I be able to get wire to the cut hole if it is pretty close to the edge? Thanks
~Ned
Ned

You might be able to core the driveway for round fixtures... depends on if it is re-inforced with re-bar or not. If it is reinforced I would not recommend trying it. If it is not then you could core drill it near the edge being very slow and careful and not using the drill in hammer mode as you dont want to crack the driveway so close to the edge.

Then you could install driveovers (very expensive fixtures) or possibly round 'paver lights'.

If it was me, I would probably stay away from it due to the risk of cracking the concrete.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
~Ned
James has excellent advice above. Sometimes its not always wise to listen to a dist or manufacture because its rare they have done it and you can bet they wont be right next to you if it shatters that driveway. You would be best off to let masons do this and bill the client thier charges in my opinion. If you do undertake this be good and sure your liability insurance covers the use of this equipment.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys,
You confirmed what I thought was the case
~Ned
Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
Just to put in something. I am installing some of those NS fixtures on a project right now and I think that they will work great.

I have installed some of the Evening Star paver lights on a project where the client insisted on having paver lights for her driveway. I placed about 36 of these lights at 10' intervals on each side of the driveway and I must say that it came out great. Between the driftwood color of the lens and the 4 watt light, it is not a glare issue at all. I did low volt it a little only giving it 10.9 volts. It outlines her driveway the way that she wanted and still goes very well in my lighting scheme.

Anyway, I just had to say something.
Hey Paul,
Have you got these pics yet. I would really love to see an example. I have a client who wants more lights around his driveway. Maybe this could work.
~Ned
Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
~Ned
We designed the fixture to be fully recessed with no exposed edges- primarily for snow plowing. Our fixture installs from the bottom side up on most paving stones, and has a fixed height of 2-3/8" (60mm) or 2-3/4 (70mm) determined by a built in flange.

Since poured concrete can be any depth, the fixture would have to be modified (by cutting off the flange on the base) and inserted down through the top. The new depth can be set with fast setting cement placed into the cavity. Coring of the cavity is easy- and can be done close to the edges. The standard wire harness length is 24", and we have an optional 6' harness available.

We are working on a cast bronze version that can install just as easily into paving stones, and a version for wet cement. It will be at least a year from now until that is ready.

-Anthony
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionLS View Post
Coring of the cavity is easy- and can be done close to the edges.
-Anthony
Anthony. You are suggesting that coring of a rectangular cavity is into set concrete of unknown depth and unknown construction (it might be steel re-inforced) is "easy".

Please tell us all how you do this so easily, while being very neat, keeping the hole square, not chipping the top surface near the outside of the hole, and not cracking the concrete pad to the edge of the drive. I would love to learn your technique.

Similarly, how easy is it to core a hole down and then horizontally out to the edge of the concrete driveway (all without damage to the concrete) to run your lead wire through, understanding that the wire must be protected from the concrete by some form of conduit.

Thanks.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA