Register free!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great Men think so much alike!

Pete:
"How do you feel about full 360 shields? Great for glare control also great as a debris collector?"

HPL:
"I especially like the cup of a shield they have that holds water and debris real well. After it stews in there for awhile it makes a real nice brown soup which crusts on the lens."
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Lights View Post
Pete:
"How do you feel about full 360 shields? Great for glare control also great as a debris collector?"

HPL:
"I especially like the cup of a shield they have that holds water and debris real well. After it stews in there for awhile it makes a real nice brown soup which crusts on the lens."
Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure HPL would feel the same.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just finished the design for this home and we are putting several fixtures on this tree at the entry way. It has a main viewing angle from the drive and you walk around the back of the tree on the way to the front door. What fixtures would you guys use? For me it's a BK Delta Star B Cap, HK ZX16 B Cap, Lumiere 203 Standard, and we have been playing with the new Vista 2220LS hoping it would be less expensive, but that doesn't look like thats going to be the case. The HK has the best drain holes and it even shields the lamp at the drain holes. Again, I am looking for ideas???????
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Lights View Post
I just finished the design for this home and we are putting several fixtures on this tree at the entry way. It has a main viewing angle from the drive and you walk around the back of the tree on the way to the front door. What fixtures would you guys use? For me it's a BK Delta Star B Cap, HK ZX16 B Cap, Lumiere 203 Standard, and we have been playing with the new Vista 2203LS hoping it would be less expensive, but that doesn't look like thats going to be the case. The HK has the best drain holes and it even shields the lamp at the drain holes. Again, I am looking for ideas???????
Let me contact HPL and I'll get back to you on that.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HPL, Pete, Who ever has any ideas? I just have always wondered why a fully shrouded fixture can't be made less expensive?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you look closely at the bottom of the picture there is clearly an image of a bare female buttocks. I am not offended but the sensors may want to take a close look at it and do with it what they deem appropriate.
Thank you.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My take on the above photo is that it is neither a Sycamore nor a London Plane.

Now, if in the future you should encounter either tree, you'll soon find it problematic as far as cable is concerned. In short, they eat it, and very quickly. They have fast healing bark, and wounds from staples, nails or screws get swallowed up in a matter of months.

A landscape designer and I came up with a solution, using copper pipe as conduit, and tying the pipe loosely to the trunk with several wraps of jute twine.

They'll have to be retied in a couple of years, but so what? That's easy and can be part of a re-lamping/ maintenance visit. It's in an Asian themed garden so there are things like bamboo fencing tied with jute too.

So, in a young tree, maybe copper pipe if the fixtures are copper too, and they'll age gracefully together.

We thought about using a piece of timber bamboo too, but drilling through the segments from one end to the other looked daunting, and the copper bends to the trunk angle.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
If you look closely at the bottom of the picture there is clearly an image of a bare female buttocks. I am not offended but the sensors may want to take a close look at it and do with it what they deem appropriate.
Thank you.
Now you're really sounding like HPL. Are you his evil twin, or is he yours? Or should we just call you Sybil?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
My take on the above photo is that it is neither a Sycamore nor a London Plane.

Now, if in the future you should encounter either tree, you'll soon find it problematic as far as cable is concerned. In short, they eat it, and very quickly. They have fast healing bark, and wounds from staples, nails or screws get swallowed up in a matter of months.

A landscape designer and I came up with a solution, using copper pipe as conduit, and tying the pipe loosely to the trunk with several wraps of jute twine.

They'll have to be retied in a couple of years, but so what? That's easy and can be part of a re-lamping/ maintenance visit. It's in an Asian themed garden so there are things like bamboo fencing tied with jute too.

So, in a young tree, maybe copper pipe if the fixtures are copper too, and they'll age gracefully together.

We thought about using a piece of timber bamboo too, but drilling through the segments from one end to the other looked daunting, and the copper bends to the trunk angle.
If not a sycamore than what is it?

A rigid copper pipe up the back of an immature tree? And that is unobtrusive? Excuse me but I disagree.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure about you guys, but I really don't think the OP actually meant he was going to mount lighting in the tree itself. I'm assuming by the fixtures he has listed that he intends to light the tree from the ground and not use tree lights. Oh, and no I don't have any suggestions as far as affordable alternatives to those fixtures.

-LI