Register free!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

oow oow , can I answer if Gerry doesn't.
While Gerry tries to provide good information he tends to do it in a confrontational way, maybe he just likes to debate, or maybe he's trying to overcome some inadequacies. Regardless its not nice to back people into a corner and make them not want to come back anymore because you belive differently, or that person isn't as knowledgeable as you think they should be. In closing, "can't we all just get along".
Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Strike 2.

Yet ANOTHER post that has nothing to do with the problem presented to you. You want everyone on this board to think your much smarter then they are, and yet when present with a real world problem, you dodge the issue.

And yet you have provided specific recommendations on how to manage them in this post.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...09&postcount=2

The "weed stage of succession". ROFL

How about you define what a weed is?

Oh, and BTW, not all "inorganic" fertilizers are salts.

I can't read any further. There is so much B.S. jumping off the page it's knocking me over.

Are you going to step up and make a recommendation or not?
Like I've said before, you are clueless. You have no idea at all about soil biology and the soil foodweb. Since you don't understand what I've posted, you've confirmed my belief, again, you are nothing but a waste of time! But it's obvious, you need to get yourself up to speed on a number of things.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And once again Gerry, avoiding the issue presented to you, which in case you forgot, was how would you get rid of the weeds in the pictures using compost tea. Heck, I would even accept ANY feasible organic method. Guess you just lost that job.

BTW Gerry, I find it amusing how you "skillfully" dodge every single question that I have presented to you. If you truly understood what you were talking about, those questions would have been easily answered.

Let's ask a few more basic questions.

1) There are two types of compaction. What are they and how are they caused?

2) What are the potential problems associated with hardpans?

3) What is the difference between primary and secondary succession?

4) What are the other possible salt inputs to a landscape that are not related to fertilizers (inorganic or organic)?

5) Explain the relationships between oxygen availability as it relates to soil particle size and soil water holding capacity.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Considering the history of that area (several trees once located near the middle of the area), and the presence of toadstools in one corner of the area (top-left of pic 1), and the "shrubs" which used to be trees, I would suspect fungi are not lacking.
Are these trees and shrubs thriving? How close are they to the photo you provided? It is possible that there may be more fungi in those areas, but it does not suggest a good balance or fungal dominance.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

tad, let Gerry answer, c'mon Gerry show us what you got, can you walk the walk, and is there really any need for name calling.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolawnservice View Post
tad, let Gerry answer, c'mon Gerry show us what you got, can you walk the walk, and is there really any need for name calling.
I hate that the posts lately have become an issue of who knows more, rather than the shared exploration of knowledge, that I think was the original intent.

How about both sides call it a truce and we can stop the name calling and antagonistic posts....any takers?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhussey View Post
I hate that the posts lately have become an issue of who knows more, rather than the shared exploration of knowledge, that I think was the original intent.

How about both sides call it a truce and we can stop the name calling and antagonistic posts....any takers?

I completely agree...I believe all can get along and give their opinions without having to attack or "one up" the other person...will also save on editing and deleting

have a good one
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I completely agree. I'm not trying to one up anyone, or even trying to be overly adversarial given the posts directed at me. I have this pet peeve about facts, and when I see people not getting them straight, I'm going to point it out.

I have tried everything I can think of under the sun to provide an acceptable means of pointing out some of the errors in Gerry's posts. However, everything I post is met with ridiculed and personal attacks, even when I quote references from his own sources. My last resort is to provide questions related to the errors in the hope it will lead Gerry to do his own investigations and perhaps see where he when wrong.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhussey View Post
Are these trees and shrubs thriving? How close are they to the photo you provided? It is possible that there may be more fungi in those areas, but it does not suggest a good balance or fungal dominance.
Yes, they are fine. You can see the once tree "shrubs" at the top of the photo, the old trees that used to be there were in the middle of the photo, to the left the arrow points roughly where the mushrooms were, and there is a nice birch to the left of that arrow, you can barely see one of the branches in the second photo. Also keep in mind this site is classified as a class 1 or 2 soil.

Let me reiterate here. I am not looking for the why here, I'm fairly certain I know why, and to be honest, it really has little to do with biology at this point. As I said before, this is an issue of management, more specifically the weeds were not dealt with initially, and were allowed to propagate.

The problem was presented as a question of how to get rid of the weeds without pesticides given the recommendations presented by Gerry. I can think of at least two "organic" methods that will very likely rid the area of weeds permanently and I won't be fighting with organic methods of weed control that may or may not work given the extent of weeds in the area. The other option is to use a combination of conventional and organic approaches.

I am however confused why you are suggesting fungal dominance is preferable when Dr. Ingham suggests bacterial dominance is preferable in turf?
Attached Images

Last edited by Kiril; 11-01-2007 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Attached another pic
Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I am however confused why you are suggesting fungal dominance is preferable when Dr. Ingham suggests bacterial dominance is preferable in turf?
The reason fungal dominated tea is suggested is that unfortunately, most people have killed off much, if not all, of the fungi in their soil from too much use of fungicides, synthetic chemical fertilizers that contain salt, other synthetic chemicals herbicides and pesticides,tilling in ag, all cause a decline of fungi in the soil. Bacteria have less of a problem, in most cases, to re-establish themselves, much more so than fungi. After your soil is in balance, then a slightly bacterial dominant AACT would then be recommended.